Monday, May 5, 2008

Obstacles



As some of you know, we have a die hard drummer in our house. Well, recently Cole has decided that he also wants to be a drummer. He has asked for a drum set like Tyler’s and we have told him that he has to be a bit older to be responsible enough to take care of such an expensive instrument. I think that for a lot of people that would have been the end of the dream for now. But not Cole. He has created his own drum set. He is very serious about it and plays it all the time.


He puts his heart into it.


Pencil drumsticks are soaring, head is banging and blond curls are flying. He loves his drums.


I love that he went ahead with his drummer dream, not phased by the roadblocks in front of him. He couldn’t have a drum set, so he said “Hey! I know, I’ll use TRASH!” and moved on.


It makes me think of all of the times we are so easily derailed because things aren’t exactly right. You know, the “I’ll do _______ when________happens” syndrome. How often are we waiting around to do something we really want to do until we finally have our house perfect, or our bodies perfect, or a number of other excuses when we should be charging ahead and doing what we want to do despite the silly obstacles that are in our path? I know there are a couple of things on my list. How about you?

We would like to take a moment to thank Cole’s sponsors, Orville Redenbacher, Country Time Lemonade, Great Value Vanilla Cappuccino Mix, Planter’s Peanuts, and Hungry Jack Pancake Mix.

That's right, we are health nuts.

9 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Very cute and quite creative!! Where did he learn that creativity....I wonder? ; )

Natalie Witcher said...

I've wondered when "it" will happen. I've even created my own "drum set" but I think I'll wait til God gives me the real deal.

Anonymous said...

That kid.... :)
I have struggled a lot with the "when I do this, I'll do that", etc. But, you go crazy if you live your life like that ~ there will always be more "thats".

Marcie said...

Awesome! That kid cracks me up!! I love that "can do" attitude!

Melinda said...

Laughing here because that's how I picture my baby boy in a few years. He already bangs on everything with his plastic spoon...you think a country time/planters nuts drum set is in our future? :)

Jenny-K said...

Okay Deleise, we HAVE to get Sammy and Cole together. I can only imagine the engineering ideas they could come up with. I am now inspired to post a blog about Sammy's carousel.

Roger Garrett said...

I love that never say die attitude. I have a hard time holding onto it

shanna said...

He is so adorable. All your boys are just gorgeous...and your lil princess!!!!

Kim Heinecke said...

Snack time at Deleise's house! Fire up!

My Kid Two wants to be a drummer, no surprise there... we bought him a set of electronic drumsticks at Sharper Image ($30ish) with earphones. When you play "air drums" they make drum noises in HIS ear...not YOURS! You can even hook up your ipod to it and drum with the music.

Silence is golden.