Thursday, May 8, 2008

Jarred heaven

I am a salsa snob. A big one. I require my salsa to be fresh and perfectly crafted by an experienced Tex-Mex chef. No jarred salsa for me. No way. Until now. May I present to you


PACE SALSA VERDE.

I kid you not, this stuff is incredible. It is smokey and limey and tomatillo-y and pure perfection. I would drink it in a Route 44 with a straw if Sonic would serve it. Maybe even if it wasn’t happy hour. If you find the above flavor descriptions to be desirable, I urge you to give it a try. Especially if you love the lime.

Imagine my delight when last weekend one of my BFFs cooked this fine dish using my favorite jarred salsa. I love you Marcie! And you love me.

Salsa Verde Enchiladas

2 rotisserie chickens
2 jars (16- to 17.6-ounce) mild salsa verde
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup (loosely packed) fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
16 corn tortillas (6-inch)
1 container (8-ounce) reduced-fat sour cream
1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 package (8-ounce) reduced-fat (2%) shredded Mexican cheese blend

Remove meat from chickens and coarsely shred; place in medium bowl (you will need 5 1/2 cups; reserve any extra for use another day). Discard skin and bones. Stir 1/2 cup salsa verde into chicken to evenly coat.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease two 13″ by 9″ glass or ceramic baking dishes; set aside. In 12-inch skillet, heat remaining salsa verde, green onions, and lime juice to boiling on medium-high. Boil 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in 2 tablespoons cilantro; keep warm over very low heat.

With tongs, place 1 tortilla in salsa verde mixture; heat 10 seconds. Place tortilla on waxed paper; top with about 1/3 cup shredded-chicken mixture. Roll up tortilla and place, seam side down, in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas and chicken mixture, arranging 8 tortillas in each dish.

Stir sour cream and broth into remaining salsa verde mixture in skillet; spoon over filled tortillas. Cover one baking dish with foil and bake 15 minutes. Remove foil; sprinkle with 1 cup cheese and 1 tablespoon cilantro. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese melts. Meanwhile, sprinkle remaining cheese and cilantro over second casserole and prepare for freezing.

To reheat after thawing:
Conventional oven: Heat, loosely covered, at 350 degrees F 45 minutes; uncover and heat 10 to 15 minutes longer.

You can do what you want regarding the lowfat cheese versus regular, but I recommend you use the low sodium broth. I made them a couple of days ago with regular broth and found that the lime gives it such a bite that you really don't want any extra salt.

10 comments:

Jenny-K said...

Sounds absolutely delish!

Kim Heinecke said...

sounds good. i would eat this for breakfast...

Marcie said...

Yes, Deleise, I do love you!
And I'm pretty fond of those enchiladas too! They were tasty... wish I would've gone ahead and made the double batch so I could've had more leftovers! I've got to stock up on that salsa... I can think of lots of other recipes to use it in. I tried to get some a the commissary the other day, but they -- gasp! -- didn't have any!

Laura said...

yum!!

Gina said...

Sounds so good! I like all 4 new pace salsas. The 4 cheese I have been dipping my carrots in.

Theresa said...

Yummmmm!! That sounds great!

Have a wonderful Mother's Day!!

Anonymous said...

Oooh, can't wait to make this one!

Lani said...

Definitely sounds good. We'll be trying this one. Yum.

Anonymous said...

Hey Deleise! Yum, that sounds good. I checked out your other posts from the kitchen, and I'm DEFINITELY making that torte!

By the way, I saw your boys this AM shopping my yard sale! :)

shanna said...

yum!