Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Birthday gifts from God



A few years ago on Riley’s birthday, she was sitting at her little table in front of her window in her room when she looked up and saw a bright red cardinal sitting on her window box, just looking in at her. She was so excited and told me immediately that she knew that was her birthday gift from God. Her joy and faith over this experience made my heart smile for days.

Since that birthday, it has become a tradition for my kids to ask God for a birthday gift. It has been such fun watching during the day to see when the gift is revealed and how they feel about it. Sometimes it is subtle, with little fanfare, but they know just the same where it came from. Sometimes it is quite the opposite.

One of my favorites is the year we were going to the drive-in movie with aunts and uncles and cousins and cake for Tyler’s birthday. When we go to the drive-in, we all bring chairs and blankets and sit on the ground under the stars, never in cars. Tyler had been so excited about going, but it had rained and stormed all day on his birthday. When it was time to head to the drive-in…still raining. Pouring. We decided to take a chance and drive over there to delay the disappointment. I kid you not, you can ask any of my family members, the second we pulled into the parking lot the rain stopped. Stopped. We all got out and got our stuff situated and had a great evening. And if I’m lyin’ I’m dyin’, as soon as the credits began to roll, the monsoon hit. We were soaked before we could open the door to get in the car. And the rainy night continued.

How much fun is that? How crazy about you is God that he stops a whole stinkin’ rainstorm so you can watch Cars for your birthday just because He knew that was the desire of your heart?

This I know. He is right there. He is absolutely nuts in love with you. He is all kinds of fun. And he cares deeply about your details. So stop and enjoy what He has to give. Ask Him to reveal Himself to you. Be alert. And enjoy the show.

Even if it’s not your birthday.

9 comments:

Roger Garrett said...

I went to see James Taylor 20 years ago at the Zoo ampitheatre and it was raining like crazy. We were soaked but they said James was coming out rain or shine. As soon as he started out on stage the rain stopped and a double rainbow formed over his head

Kelsey said...

I love that He cares about the desires of our hearts ~ those desires that usually only He knows about. He has fulfilled so many of these for me.

Natalie Witcher said...

he's so cool

Robin Meadows said...

Awesome! You are teaching your kids VALUABLE lessons. Love it!

Oh, and Dirk and I LOVE James Taylor!

Theresa said...

I love the Drive-In! It is so great that God knows our hearts desires and delights in giving our desires to us!

Marcie said...

Beautiful! I often feel that... when I catch a glimpse of a Blue Jay or Cardinal in the back yard, a rainbow, or when the sun casts its rays in just such a way to make everything look extraordinary... I think of these things, and more, as gifts from God meant especially for me to see! Isn't it wonderful that He's big enough to give such gifts to all of His children!

Kim Heinecke said...

Great post! It's fun to see God prove himself to our kids! Loved it!

Lani said...

What a wonderful idea... to have kids look for gifts from God. And a reminder to me to try to do better about looking around me and seeing the gifts he's given me every day.

Melanie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.