Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New York City- Day 3

We walked a thousand and five miles on this wet day. The bottoms of my jeans will never be the same. I think I will now refer to them as my city jeans.


And the winners for today…
Most beautiful thing


I know, it’s not a beautiful picture and I am sorry for that. But it was beautiful. The sky was kinda pink behind her. We didn’t go all the way out to the island. I just wanted to see her from the pier.



I ain’t never seen that in Oklahoma


I’m sure you know this if you have been here, but there are these tiny shops all down the streets. Some of them are literally about 3 feet wide and not much deeper. This one is a little bigger, but still it was only about 4x6 feet.



My favorite thing


We went to The Magnolia Bakery! I’ve wanted to go there for years just because of all the publicity it gets in movies and TV shows. I needed to have a famous cupcake. David is going to have to sell his car when we get home to pay for our cupcakes, but it was worth it. He won’t mind walking. He’s in pretty good shape.



Magnolia is in Greenwich Village which was so cool. It is just off the busy NYC streets and it is pretty and tree-lined and quiet. It reminded me the set of Sesame Street.


Here is a picture of David trying to act all street like the guys on the Lazy Sunday skit in front of Magnolia Bakery on Saturday Night Live. Yeah... I know. But he felt street. And we'll cut him some slack since he's hot.


Bonus category:
Most goosebumpy thing
This is the hole in the city where the World Trade Center towers should be. It is very surreal down there. Below is a picture of the fire station that is right across the street. The first ones on the scene. You can see through the window the memorials they have for the firefighters who died on that day.


Oh, AND…


We ditched the taxi and hopped on the subway tonight.


In the dark.


Don’t tell my mom.


Really though, it was a nice ride! I was surprised to find that it was extremely clean and quiet. And it smelled…fresh. For real. And hey, did you realize that subway stations actually have subway tiles? Go figure. I just thought it was a name.



See you tomorrow. It will be our last day here.

14 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

Enjoying seeing the City through your eyes! Loved the pics.

Amy said...

Lovely cupcake. And he really did look very street.
Thank you for bringing us to NYC with you. I promise not to tell your Mom about the subway thing. She doesn't read blogs, does she?

Marcie said...

Wow! What a full day! I wish I could reach out to the screen and grab a bite of that cupcake!
I love seeing your photos. I've always wanted to go there, and in a way, I kinda feel like I'm tagging along with you. We are getting ready for our trip to TN in the morning, but... Nashville suburbs aren't quite like the Big Apple!

Anonymous said...

I love the pic of David on the street!! You are making me want to go to NYC!!!

Theresa said...

Your NYC pics are awesome but I also noticed that the kids pics have been changing too. You all look fabulous!!!

I love the subway tiles. I have been on the subways before it was exciting I was 8. :)

Enjoy your last day there. Have a safe journey home!

My Blessings From Above said...

We are living vicariously thru you! Justin my six year old has been longing to go to NYC since he was three. It is on our list of things to do!

Kelsey said...

So, how often has David been singing "Lazy Sunday"? You didn't get a chocolate cupcake? I'm glad that you're having such an unforgettable time. :)

Roger Garrett said...

Fun stuff thanks

Kim Heinecke said...

Tell David I was totally buying his "street." I hope you had a cupcake (chocolate) for the rest of us too!

Lani said...

Not only that, but he cleans toilets. ;)

The picture of the liberty lady is absolutely gorgeous... I can almost imagine how fantastic it was in person.

Can't believe it's time for you come home already... I'm with Moni... you've definitely made me want to visit NYC! I imagine visiting the World Trade Center site was a bit surreal. I think I would have stood there weeping.

Anonymous said...

There's got to be tons of famous cool places in New York. I'd love to go with me lady! One of these days. Great pics!

Natalie Witcher said...

love it! I wanna go!!!

Laura said...

Oh, he definitely looked street to me.

Laurie said...

Girl
You guys look good in your NYC moments. The subways are awesome. That is all we did when we were there. I somehow missed that cupcake place. Now I have cupcake envy!