Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The drive-in



What is it about the drive-in movie that makes the world seem right? Maybe it is the songs booming over the speakers, background music for all the dads and kids playing ball in front of the screen before the show starts.

Maybe it is that no matter how blistering the summer day was, it always seems to be a perfectly cool, breezy night.

Maybe it is the sight of children in their pjs with their blankets, ready to drift off during the late night show.

Maybe it is the peaceful feeling you get when your eyes wander above the screen onto the millions of stars and the shining moon gazing over you.

Maybe it is just looking down and seeing my family all together, snuggled up, engrossed in the show, even if the the show isn't that great.

Whatever it is, I love the drive-in. And it has nothing to do with the movies.



Everyone comes early to get a space and play before the movie starts.


I know! Ridiculous. And my junior mints didn't even make this photo.


I promise this picture was not posed. It is Cole enjoying the pre-show fireworks.



And Cole enjoying the movie. Looks like the aftermath of some kind of crazy diet coke-sprite-germX frat party.

14 comments:

Marcie said...

Good times!!! I haven't been to the drive-in in ages. I need to change that. Looks like you had a blast... especially Cole. That boy knows how to party!

Kelsey said...

We have talked about hitting the drive-in when we move back. Such special family time. Not sure if my boys would hang...we'll see.

Gina said...

Oh too cute! I really need to get my kids to the drive-in, they would love it! And of course the girls would do anything to see Riley!

Lani said...

Believe it or not, I've never been to a drive-in theater, but I can see I'm missin' out!

Theresa said...

I love the drive in. Most of them have closed down in California.

When I was a teenager my friends family made sails for sailboats and we use to take the company van to the drive in. We only had to pay $5.00 a car so we would load that van up with 10-15 people. It was always a great time!!!

Kim Heinecke said...

LOVE the last picture. Your description is laugh out loud, knee-slappin funny.

Jacob said...

Great FAMILY times! I'm so glad this drive-in is still open!!

Natalie Witcher said...

That last ppic is a scream! I love that theatre

Roger Garrett said...

Where is that? I need to take the fam

deleise said...

It is in Guthrie.
http://www.beacondrive-in.com/

Sue said...

Looks like everyone is having a good time. Cole is a hoot!!!

SheriYates said...

Awe man - wish we had been there! that is great!

Roger Garrett said...

Thanks I will look it up

Erica said...

I am sad we weren't with you. I love watching our kids have so much fun at the drive in. We can't miss Kung Fu Panda.Cole's pic cracks me up!