Tuesday, July 29, 2008

A getaway and my new camera


Last weekend went on a little local getaway. We went to the Oklahoma Science Museum, which has lots of new stuff since we were last there. We ate out, watched movies in our hotel, swam and went to see Wall-E. We ended with meeting some friends at Laser Quest to celebrate Tyler's birthday.

It was a really fun weekend. Except for that part when someone's adorable kid threw up in the pool.

Literally seconds after we had gotten in.

And our whole plan for the night was to swim until after dark because, clearly, we get crazy when we are out. But David went to the front desk and asked them to call around to the other Marriots and find some place for us to swim and they did, so no harm, I suppose. At least not to us. There may have been some harm done to the other hotel pool patrons who decided to dive in after the puke incident that didn’t get cleaned up…

Right before we left for our weekend, the FedEx man brought my new camera I had been waiting for. I love him. He always brings a touch of happiness in his truck. He and the UPS guy. God bless them. So here are my first shots with my camera. I’m still trying to figure it out, but it’s fun! I always used an SLR before digital and now I’m joining the digital SLR world. These are pictures of the bed-jumping ritual our kids have when we get to a hotel. It’s like a big ol' party because I am a mean mommy and don’t allow those sort of distructive, evil shenanigans on our beds at home.





I kinda like the still shots, but I'm still trying to figure out the action stuff and obviously I don't have it down. Any tips? Besides reading the manual? Does anyone know of a good digital SLR photography class I could take somewhere?

14 comments:

Marcie said...

Fun, fun weekend!!! (Except for the puke... yucky!) We just took Noah to the science museum on Monday. He had a great time.
Great shots with your new camera... I'm beginning a search for a new camera myself. I'll have to get some advice from you... See you soon!

My Blessings From Above said...

Deleise,
Great pictures! I recently got my first SLR digital and I love it! I got the Canon Rebel XTI. I found an awesome blog, by an ameture photographer she is holding a photography work shop. http://fromtherubberroom.com
click on the link on the left side bar that says Through the Lens for her photography assignments. I am learning alot about my camera from her lessons.
Michele

Roger Garrett said...

Ok which one did you get? If you got a canon I have a video that will bring you up to speed on all the stuff. Let me know and I can send it to you

Betty Ann said...

What a fun weekend. The Science Museum is really a neat place. I went this summer with our Upward Bound students. I'm glad you could find another pool to swim in--what a story. I like the action pictures.

Love,

Grandma Betty Ann

Sue said...

Great pictures!! I wonder who they got that jumping on the motel bed from.Hmmmm!
I'm glad you had a fun weekend.

Love you
Mom

Theresa said...

I don't know much about cameras. I looks like it takes good pictures. :)

Mostly I love all the smiles!! See you in just a couple weeks!

Lani said...

Yay for a new camera. And those beds look positively delicious!!! I can "feel" all the fun you had in these pictures. So glad you had a nice time... even with a pool detour.

Kelsey said...

How fun! Of course, I think the pics look great, but what do I know! Have fun with the new camera!

Natalie Witcher said...

I love my camera! If it's a Nikon their might be one local you could go to

deleise said...

Roger, it is a Canon, is that what Shelly has? I'm sure mine is a more entry level model than hers but maybe I can still get some tips from the video?

Kim Heinecke said...

Congrautlations on your new kid. The camera, yes. If you're like me, you'll treat it like one of your children and protect it all cost. (It doesn't talk back either!)

PIoneer Woman has some good camera tutorials w/ LOADS of picture how-to's. I"ve learned a lot there.

Ronette said...

Deleise, your blog is always so lovely and your kids are adorable!

Ronette

diane said...

What great pics! I love reading your blog on a regular basis, even though I have not commented before!
Which Canon did you get? I'm going to buy a new one soon, also.
diane in little rock

Roger Garrett said...

Shelly shoots with an XTI, not a whole lot of difference any more if you are in the SLR range. They all pretty much do the same stuff. I will see what Shelly did with those dvds and let you know