Sunday, April 6, 2008

Higher


I professed my love for swings in a previous post. Something about them has always been so comforting to me. My all-time favorite swing is the one on the side of our front yard. Handmade and hung by my husband, who thinks my love of swings is cute. He didn’t just make any ol’ wussy swing either. He made a huge seat, often big enough for more than one person, depending on ahem posterior girth. Everyone loves to swing here. Kids, adults, grandparents, everyone has at least tried it. And he hung it from a huge branch over 30 feet in the air, so when you start swinging high, you go waaaaaaay out. It seems very slow, almost like you are hovering.



I love the feeling I have on this swing. The relaxing rush almost feels like a drug to me. I love to feel the soothing breeze as it races past me and the sensation of gliding above everything on the ground. David summed it up with a quote he wrote on the bottom.



It reminds me of my prayer life. I adore the times when I am so close to God that it almost feels like a drug. Nothing can bring me down. The calm of walking with Him is like the soothing feeling of the swing. I love gliding above all my problems and concerns, floating on the faith that He has it all under control. Going higher and higher and leaving the world behind.


I go through seasons with our swing when I hardly notice it is out there. Then there are seasons when I have my child slaves pushing me on it every day. Unfortunately I have similar on and off seasons with God. But He is always there waiting, ready to take me higher, just like our swing is always out there waiting for me to jump aboard.


Sometimes I leave both of them hanging for way too long.


And when I get back on, I am never disappointed.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. I need to take a ride on that swing. Love you!

Amy said...

Yes. That is exactly the feeling. Swinging and faith walking. Very good post. I gotta find me a swing!

Natalie Witcher said...

Good one. God is faithful even when we're not. Just like a swing.

Kim Heinecke said...

Love the analogy!

Theresa said...

Awesome Post! I love swings! That one looks like fun. :)

Jenny-K said...

Love the Sammy Hagar quotes! We saw him with Van Halen a few years back. They still sounded as good as ever.
I'm coming over to swing!

Robin Meadows said...

Love this! We have a swing that looks exactly like this one. Two grandkids can sit on it at a time. Great fun!

Roger Garrett said...

Now that is a swing. Bet the kids love that. I wish we had trees like that at our house

Shonda said...

Wow! Love this!
~Shonda (fiar friend)