Thursday, April 10, 2008

Gettin' dirty


Let me just say it. I don’t like dirt. It’s just so dirty. I want to be laid back about it, but it is just not natural for me. I want to be one of those moms who grins in adoration when her child splashes her as he jumps in a muddy puddle on their way into church, but instead I am the mom who says “For real? Did you have to jump right in the middle?” It’s just how I am. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect them to please me in this area, I’m just saying dirty stuff makes me uncomfortable.


This week a blog post inspired (read convicted) me to go as far as to encourage my children to play in the mud (one…minute…please…trouble…breathing…ok, better). So I made a commitment to myself to lead my children in that very activity this week. I seriously can only think of a couple of times I have actually encouraged mud play. Allowed it, maybe. But encouraged? So today I jumped out of my comfort zone in the name of fun mommyhood. They had a blast and I only hyperventilated once or twice. The clothes are all in the washer and the kids are all showered and quite honestly, I think after a couple of sessions of therapy I am going to be alright. We may even do it again soon.
.
Comfort zones are for wusses.
.
Garrett stood in the pond and dumped water over the wall into our mud pit

14 comments:

Roger Garrett said...

That is awesome that you did that. I am glad to see my goofy way of getting to the point rubbed off on someone. Thanks for the link luv

Anonymous said...

I love the mud...sorry. Maybe you could encourage J to play in the mud while he is with you. He can't stand it when dirt gets on him. Jake on the other hand ~ he is my dirt lovin' baby!

*Heather said...

OMG! Looks like they had fun! Kiersten did this one time when we first moved in and I was always the saying don't get dirty! She asked if she could get a little dirty and she literally came back head to toe covered in mud! Her words were "You said I could get dirty!" Glad you got pictures of it!

Jenny-K said...

I don't want to horrify you Deleise, but this was one of my favorite activities as a kid. Although...I'm not as thrilled about it now. It looks like they had a blast, and I love how you capture everything! I'm going to hire you to take pictures of my kids!

Amy said...

Just keep telling yourself, "This will look great on the blog". Tee hee.
I am very proud of you. You are one good Mama.

Robin Meadows said...

So, did you make them hose off before coming in? : )

I'm proud of you!!

deleise said...

Roger-I know, your memory of you parents letting you do that is what got me

Kelse-not surprised, you've always been more of an outdoor girl than me! I'll stay in with Josh.

Heather-a little dirty is relative

Jenny-thanks. And I liked it as a kid too.

Amy-hey, maybe this blog will improve my mommyness after all.

Robin-are you kidding? I made them hose off and then hose the deck off where they hosed off!

Chick4Christ said...

oh how cute deliese! your kids are just adorable and i'm sure you got the mommy of the year award!! :)

Kim Heinecke said...

They will remember it for a LONG time... (I am a mud-aphobe too)

Looks like fun!

Tim and Christie said...

OK...this is my comment for the last several posts.

We should be spending more time together! We stand united on many very important issues! LOL!

Theresa said...

With you totally on the dirty thing. As a child it was fun now I am anal. I am the person with the bucket of water and the beach to rinse your feet off in before you step on the towel.

It did look like fun though. They look like they enjoyed it!! You be a good mommy!

deleise said...

Wendy-Thanks, they love you!

Kim and Theresa-thanks for making me feel like i'm not the only party pooper!

Christie-Bring it on, Sista!

Marcie said...

Wow! You really went for it! Good for you! I know what you mean about dirtphobia. Noah hasn't challenged me too much yet... well, except with what he can do with his food! But, I do recall at least two occasions where Doris forced me WAY outside of my comfort zone regarding this topic... and I know you recall those occasions as well since both were at your house!

Mary Ann said...

That looks like so much fun. I bet the kids loved it. We used to have so much fun as a kid with the water hose and my parent's garden. I remember making water tunnels through the mud. Way to go out on a limb. I'm sure your kids will remember it. By the way, are you really going to have a teenager in 2 days?!