Monday, April 14, 2008

I cannot have a teenager, can I? Oh my. I do.



And I couldn’t be happier. But still, how did this happen? How can time go so fast? What is this watery substance streaming from my eyes?

The thought of one day having a teen used to frightened me somewhat. I don’t know what I thought it would be like, but I wish I would have known the truth.

The truth is it is delightful.

I love Garrett’s personality and I love who he is. It is so much fun to be on the receiving end of his wit and humor and I love that he gets me. He continually blesses me with his little acts of kindness, such as sharing his chocolate and picking up my empty coffee cup after church to throw it away before I do, even though I have never asked him to.

I love the relationship he chooses to have with each member of his family.

I love that he is a leader, but he is not arrogant. That he is sensitive, but extremely tough. That he is a warrior for God. And that he lets Cole beat the living daylights out of him.

I love that we are doing fun stuff together like our private Mom/Garrett book club. We are reading the same book and discussing it as we go. Right now we are reading The Shack by William P. Young. Sharing insight and observations concerning the book is such fun and it is definitely enhancing our reading. That’s not something I could have done with that adorable toddler I wanted to never grow up, is it? Sometimes it’s hard on mommy hearts to watch them turn another year older, but I’m telling you, it just gets better.

Having a teenager is not frightening. It’s amazing. Especially with this teenager. Happy birthday, babe. I admire you and love you so much.

17 comments:

Robin Meadows said...

What a great legacy of love to give him in this story, Deleise! It's hard seeing our babies grow up, but the relationships just get deeper and deeper! What a blessing!

Tell him HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Natalie Witcher said...

My 9 year old thinks she is but weeks away from 13! It's already hard to think of her being in her teens. Oh, man, do I love that kid! Great pics by the way!

Kim Heinecke said...

I seriously admire your admiration of him. That is sweet. I've got a near-11 year old and it certainly has been fun watching him grow into a young man!

Garrett said...

:)

Amy said...

What a good looking teenager. Thank you so much for painting a different picture of teens for us Moms just behind you.
Happy Birthday, Garrett!

Christi said...

A teenager? Wow- time goes by too quickly.What a fine young man you and David(?) have raised. Be proud. You seem like such a fun mom!!!

Alana - The Mommy said...

Happy Birthday Garret!

And, thanks for the Rawkfist rec, we have been "rawkin" all morning to Thousand Foot Krutch while we clean.

SheriYates said...

That is so sweet!

Theresa said...

Happy Birthday to both of you!!! Great story about the reading. I am going to try that with my daughter!

Chick4Christ said...

OMG!! i cant believe he's 13! thats crazy!

well thank you so much for taking our pictures! they're amazing!! :)

Laura said...

Wow, I can still remember you being pregnant with him. So hard to believe how fast it goes. My oldest is already talking colleges.
I'm with you, I do love where we are! My teens are such a blessing! We have some fun conversations and special times! I love it!

Happy Birthday Garrett! I pray you will continue to allow God to shape you into a man of God.

Amy said...

Garrett,

Happy Birthday!!! I wanted you to know the influence you have had on my sons. They think you are sooo cool. Thank you for demonstrating what a Godly young man is like. You bless everyone around you and I can not wait to see what amazing things God has in store for your life.

Garrett said...

thanks everyone!!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you have a teenager, either! I love this tribute to him. I am thankful for the influence he will have on the lives of my kids as well.

Jenny-K said...

Oh, I missed it by a day! Happy birthday Garrett! You're an awesome kid, and someday you'll be a rock star!

*Heather said...

Great pictures! ;)

angie said...

Hoorah! Go Garrett!!!!
You're the bestest!
Happy Birthday!
We love ya!