Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Exercise Shmexercise

I took my camera with me on a family walk because I am excited that it is spring and time to be outside again. I wanted to capture the springiness and put it on my blog. Upon viewing the photos when I got home, the theme of my post changed. I discovered that these pictures represent why I do not get a lot of intense exercise on our family walks. I’ve noticed I just don’t seem to get much momentum going. Sweating is rarely involved and there is little to no heart rate increase. And quite honestly, where are the toned calves? So now the mystery is solved. Here is how the ol’ family walk plays out.



Walk walk walk STOP
Pet the neighbor’s dog



Walk walk walk STOP
Explore creek



Walk walk walk STOP
Wait for climbing of dead tree on side of road


Walk walk walk STOP
Dodge scooter making figure 8 in path. Repeat 12 times.


Walk walk walk STOP
Dodge middle-of-the-road football game



Walk walk walk STOP
Wait for tired child to be picked up and carried



And now, thanks to my camera, I know. Family walks are for fun, not for workouts.


Treadmills are for workouts.


And because I am so kind, and my treadmill has been resting so peacefully, I shall not disturb it.


So on with the fun. I'll have toned calves in heaven.

12 comments:

Chick4Christ said...

haha omg this is so great :)

i love it!

Natalie Witcher said...

my treadmill and yours should get together

Amy said...

Yay for toned calves in Heaven!

Your family walks look a lot like mine. There is no reaching your target heart rate on a walk like that.

Anonymous said...

Walks like that are the best! I love how you captured it.

Anonymous said...

I quit trying to convince Mike that I use the treadmill daily when he noticed that the power button was encased in dust.

Note to self: it is necessary to dust while maintaining that lie.

Marcie said...

Cooking, cleaning, playing, laundry, homeschooling, carpooling, hugging, tear drying, boo-boo fixing, (and so on) for a family of 6 altogether... girl, there's your exercise!
Besides, if you used those family walks only to get that heart rate up... well, you'd miss all the important stuff!

Laura said...

I like to use my treadmill to hang things on. SOOO decorative. That is how our walks go too. :-)

Kim Heinecke said...

I'm counting on getting a lot of new body parts in heaven!

Kim Heinecke said...

I'm counting on getting a lot of new body parts in heaven!

Christi said...

Those are the best walks....where you can walk AND talk :)

Theresa said...

Finally moved my treadmill to the garage. It was really uncomfortable in my room. We didn't want it to get a complex so it has a nice resting place out there. :)

Calves are over rated!

Erica said...

Those are the best kinds of walks to have. It is much better to spend quality time with your family than to have tone calves.