Tuesday, April 8, 2008

And then there is the fourth child

I remember ten years ago when it would be time for me and my only child to go somewhere. Like the library. I would pick out something adorable for him to wear, clean his face, and gel his hair just perfectly. You never know when you might see someone you know, ya know? So fast-forward a decade and the following is kinda how we roll.

Me: COME ON EVERYONE, TIME TO GO TO THE LIBRARY! Whoa, Cole, are you wearing that?
Cole: Yes!
Me: Are you wearing underwear under there?
Cole: (checking with uncertainty) Ummm....yes.
Me: (surprised) Oh! Good job, babe. GET IN THE CAR EVERYONE!!!


I don’t know if I have really chilled that much or if I feel more secure because my other three regularly and voluntarily sport fashionably acceptable duds and in my mind that gives Cole a little buffer zone, or what. I just know it is different now. I find myself saying less and less “Let’s just make that a special at home outfit,” and just going with the flow. I have to say though, I may have let the costume slide but I had to put my foot down when he was wearing socks and flip-flops on the way out the door the other day. I may have mellowed, but there are still standards to honor for crying out loud. We’re living in a society here.

On a side note, during this visit to the library Cole was making friends with a little boy (He was working to reach his personal quota of making 6-8 new friends in each place we stop) and I heard him whisper “I’m not really this strong.” That's my little man of integrity. You’d hate to start a friendship under false pretense. Lord knows the pain and disappointment that could have erupted if they were ever to meet up again and he were to realize that Cole’s biceps are actually the diameter of an egg roll.

10 comments:

Jen said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is the best.

Anonymous said...

Oh - my - goodness!! I love that kid!

Chick4Christ said...

haha oh gosh. thats great!! :) he's so cute! and growing up tooo fast! i cant wait to be a mommy :) yeah!


hey, sidenote- are you free this saturday evening?? my sister cant get off work and you're mrs. amazing picture taking lady and wondering if you could take a few shots for me and taylors prom?? :)

around like 5 or 5:30..

Theresa said...

I love that boys muscles. :) It is amazing how you get more lax about the small stuff. Thank goodness you stopped the socks with flip-flops.

Natalie Witcher said...

So cute! I'm usually OK with what the girls have some, but sometimes I've got to say, "um, honey, you might want to go change." My oldest appreciates it now.

Jenny-K said...

First things first...Cole, LOVE the outfit buddy! That's awesome!

Second, okay show-off (Delise)! Like how I spelled that? 2 blogs in one day! I just got the one I promised to post posted.

Erica said...

I love Cole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Robin Meadows said...

Too cute. Yeah, I'm guessing you're a bit more secure with being a mom now.

Been to the stores with a princess before, complete with crown, pink long dress and baby doll. Some days, it's just easier that way! ;) BTW - she's 21 now. And still a princess! LOL

Alana - The Mommy said...

Deleise! Oh my heck! I love that!
"I'm not really this strong." LOL! Seriously. ROFLOL!

Thanks friend!

My dh told me recently to lay of my dd, and let her have some individuality...I said ok, but only when she goes out with you...not me!

Kim Heinecke said...

THAT is good. I've been to Quail Springs Mall w/ Bibleman...did your kids do that one?