Monday, March 3, 2008

The Faith Swing


I love our porch swing. I love swings in general, but I love this swing because of the memories it holds. I think everyone in our family has cuddled up in a blanket on it at one time or another. I have gotten lost in countless books with my children on this swing. David and I have spent many nights sitting in the dark together here, listening to night sounds and talking. I love how it sits just under the roof so that you can sit there during a rainstorm and still stay dry, except for your feet. I’ve held a few croupy children in the middle of the night, all bundled up on this swing and felt the peace of the country surrounding me. I’ve also had some deep girl talk with my BFFs right here. But one of my favorite things about the swing is how we came to own it.

One year David’s parents were facing possible uncertainty concerning my mother-in-law’s job. I can’t remember the details, but due to circumstances that had nothing to do with her, there was a chance that her position might be eliminated and she might soon be without a job. About that time, they were given an unexpected bonus check. Obviously if you were given some extra money and didn’t know for sure what your financial future was going to hold you would hang onto the money for dear life, right? Not them. Instead they gave the bonus away to their three kids' families. There was never a doubt for them that God had their situation under control. They had no reason to panic. We bought this swing with that money. The money that, to me, represented their faith in God and NOT in money or their ability to control their life. And since then it has been known to me as The Faith Swing. Which I love.

By the way, everything worked out with my mother-in-law’s job….big shock, huh?

15 comments:

Garrett said...

That swing is awesome!

Natalie Witcher said...

What a treasure! I hope you spend many years sitting in that swing. I hope it falls apart on you because it was used so much! :)

Stef Swindell said...

K, so I am officially jealous of the swing, the porch, and the living in the country :) I know you read my email so we are hoping to get a home soon in the country, but it has been YEARS in the waiting to find something we could afford that we liked! Its crazy...Anyway, I hope that I someday have a swing like this that I can start memories on like you have :) I LOVE swings!!
And by the way, if you have any pics of your home, I would love to see them, I love looking at "country" houses :)

Anonymous said...

I never knew that was The Faith Swing. That's a cool story. And, I have loved my time on that swing as well!

Bob said...

Thanks for the story about the swing; I love it. I am very thankful to be your father-in-law and I love you much.

Kim Heinecke said...

What a nice, feel good story. My granddad made swings like that. We called it a Pappa Swing.

Theresa said...

That is a great story!

Robin Meadows said...

Love this...we have a swing too. Lots of memories of watching the lightning, reading books, snuggling with my husband, swinging many a baby....thanks for the reminder!

Laura said...

Oh! You made me all teary eyed! Sweet story!! We have a swing we love too! Our porch doesn't work as well as the big tree. We all love to sit in it and talk. It's my teens favorite place to sit and talk with their friends! I love living in the country, don't you?

Sue said...

You started loving a swing when you were 8 weeks old. I'm not surprised that you still love to swing. Great story! Love you

Amy said...

What a fine testament that swing is!

stacy said...

thanks for sharing that great story! i think i need a faith swing, too!

Marcie said...

I've enjoyed that swing many times, but never knew the story behind it. Makes it all the more special!

shanna said...

I want one :)

Christi said...

Can I come and sit on your swing someday??