Thursday, March 27, 2008

Precious Treasure

Check out Riley’s custom designed hunk of bling. She was so excited when she came downstairs to show it off. She explained that she had taken an old Halloween ring, a shiny rock that she had found on the floor of an arcade on our vacation, and some Elmer’s glue and created this masterpiece. I had to show her how close her ring compared to the cool cocktail rings that are making a comeback.

I kind of find it charming that my kids collect trash. It makes me want to pull my hair out, but at the same time I think it is adorable that they can see worth in things I find worthless. I definitely would have trashed the items that made up this smashing new ring, ya know? And look at those items now, all shiny and pulled together and transformed into a precious treasure. All because Riley took a little time and looked at them in a different light.

Isn’t that what God does with us? He looks at all of our trash, all of our broken pieces and junk that appear worthless to the untrained eye and He sees it in a different light. If we are willing, He is ready to pull us together and bring out the shiny and beautiful that was always there. He is ready to show us we are a precious treasure. Oh, He is a master at that, if we will allow it.

Thank goodness He is a collector and transformer of junk, just like Riley.

8 comments:

Marcie said...

Wow! There you go being all profound and insightful again... Good stuff! I know there are lots of days when I feel I should haul my whole self out to the curb with the trash cans and recycle bins. You're so right -- if only we could begin to see ourselves as God sees us...
(I'm smiling as I remember a Christmas tree of Garrett's many years ago... decorated with trash... er... treasure.)

deleise said...

I KNEW you were going to say something about Garrett's Christmas tree! I thought of it too! For those interested, when Garrett was about 5 he tied a strip of a rippped off top of a ziploc cheese package into a bow and put it on the Christmas tree. He thought it was stunning.

Roger Garrett said...

This is a great post, as children we have eyes for opportunity, we haven't hardened our heart yet. Wish I could get back there
Thanks for coming by my blog for a visit. Always nice to have a new reader. I will check back on yours

Theresa said...

I am so glad that I am God's precious treasure. He really does wash us clean. In my case it is a good thing his glue is invisible or all my cracks would show. :)

Natalie Witcher said...

Right on sista

Anonymous said...

I love that He uses our junk to create treasure. And, he lets us use our junk to lead others to become His treasure as well.

Sue said...

Reminds me of a very old praise song SOMETHING BEAUTIFUL. When I offer Him my brokenness and strife He will make something beautiful of my life. Gee, why do I have such a difficlt time remembering that? Thanks Riley.

Amy said...

I have a ring just like that! It's one of my all time favs when I'm in a dramatic mood. Like everyday.