Monday, March 10, 2008

And they think WE are complicated

This weekend I heard my normally stable husband nervously mumbling to himself. Something about HD…LCD…I don’t know. This caused me to remember the new TV he has been planning to buy for, oh, a year maybe. So I said “Hey, why haven’t you bought a TV yet?” And here was his very serious answer. I’m not kidding.

He said he has Pre-Buyer's Remorse.

Apparently this is a sad paranoia that is causing otherwise strong and brave men to suffer. The symptoms, according to my observations and interviews, begin with an inability to fight a force that pulls the man into Best Buy to stare at televisions for hours and ask salespeople questions they already know the answers to. It includes, but is not limited to, intense internet research and scrutiny of different pixels and other odd numbers that females are completely unaware of. And finally, the paralyzing fear that if the man buys the TV today, a new and better one will come out tomorrow. Pre-buyer's remorse.

It is real, my friends. And it is plaguing our finest men.

Yesterday Riley and I had the boys drop us off at Target on their way to Best Buy. We were looking at flip flops. Flip flops. If you think they are cute, you buy them. End of story. No complications. No bondage. No pre-buyer's remorse. Freedom.

Thank you God that I am a woman.

14 comments:

Christi said...

Amen sista!! Flips flops are a no-brainer! I don't understand all those TV terms either.

Theresa said...

That is funny. Pre Buyers Remorse. I think you hit the nail on the head. Thank you for bringing this very serious condition out in the open. :)

Laura said...

A big AMEN over here too! Too funny! Is there a support group out there for them? Oh wait, they don't like to discuss their feelings!

Garrett said...

Hey! buying a TV is a VERY important thing! It has to be the right size for yor living room, you have to choose if you want 1080i 1080p or 720p. You also have to get the right brand, if you get a bad brand then the picture quality will decrease. there is also the choice between plasma and lcd. Pre Buyers Remorse is actually a very good thing and I am glad that someone else besides me is worried about how good our TV is.

deleise said...

Garrett, deep breaths, sweetie. Unfortunately it is also hereditary.

David said...

Garrett, you make me proud.

Garrett said...

thanks :)

Anonymous said...

I am glad that David (and apparently Garrett) does all that worrying, scrutinizing research, and whatever else needs to go on to buy electronics. Why am I glad? Because when it comes time for us to buy those things, Matthew just needs to call David and he is pretty set on what he needs to buy. Thanks, David...we appreciate your blood, sweat and tears.

Marcie said...

Thank you for opening my eyes to this subject. I've known about the conditon for some time. It's a relief to finally put a name to it and know that we're not alone. Let us no longer suffer in silence! I'll be organizing a Pre-Buyers-Remorse Awareness Walk if anyone is interested....

Robin Meadows said...

OMG - my husband suffers from this syndrom. He finally purchased a TV (after YEARS of contemplation, research, and countless visits to Best Buy.) He's still wondering if he did the right thing! LOL

Natalie Witcher said...

Love it! So, totally true!

Jenny-K said...

hahahahaha! We go through that at Guitar Center.

Chick4Christ said...

hhahaha thanks for the giggle :) i hope taylor doesnt suffer from that! haha

shanna said...

Jerome has this too!