Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Feeling God

I just started a Bible study this week that I was supposed to start last week (ahem…hi Cari and Amy). The idea of the study is to read until God speaks to you, then stop and spend time figuring out what it means to you. So the first day I started in James. You know, James 1:1. And I got to James 1:2.

JAMES 1:2.

I know.

4 seconds in and I am coming to a screeching halt. And here is why.

James 1:2-3
Consider it pure joy, my brothers, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance.

Those of you who have been around me much in the past few weeks know I have been a bit…um…whiny. I’ve had a few trials. Nothing big, and trust me, I am thankful that it is all small stuff, but it has been annoying none the less. Just stuff like the evil virus that went through our family, shower leaks and flooded closets, a stolen vehicle, and being behind in never-ending housework, to name a few. And after a particularly crappy challenging morning with my kids, this verse was so in my face that it was almost humorous. So as I began to do the journaling part of the exercise, I started to see and feel more and more truth. By the end, God had literally talked me into being joyful over my trials. Into desiring perseverance. Into loving how my trials make me lean on Him. And I honestly know in my heart that no matter what happens, it is all good. Then the planets all aligned and there was crazy, unprecedented silence in my house as my kids somehow became absorbed in their own little projects, and I laid down on the couch under my favorite blanket and I actually felt like I was laying in the comforting arms of Jesus. You know that feeling? Oh, that feeling rocks. It ROCKS.

And now I think I am good to go.

Even though one of my "well" kids just walked in with a 103 fever. You gotta admit, there is some humor in there somewhere. Still good to go.

10 comments:

Jenny-K said...

Well, Deleise, I feel ya. Of course, you got to hear a little of my 'whining' yesterday. Sorry about that. And sorry about the coffee thing too. I promise I'll grab an extra next time!
And, what?! Stolen vehicle?

Anonymous said...

I love it! He is so cool. His timing is incredible. I am so happy that you received just what you needed. I bet he loved getting to hold you!
I started doing this kind of studying in my quiet time as well ~ reading until something jumps out at you and then journal. And, yeah, between yesterday and today I maybe got through half a chapter. I'll never finish the bible at this pace! I'm only in Deuteronomy! Love you.

The Rusty Hoe said...

Oooh.... I know exactly the feeling you're talking about and I *love* that feeling! It does ROCK!

Tell me more about this type of Bible study.

deleise said...

Jenny, I didn't think you were whiny! But you can feel free to whine to me anytime. Did I not tell you about David's car???

Kelse, I know, I love it. The journaling really makes a difference.

Oney, I pm'ed you about the study.

Jenny-K said...

Um, no you didn't tell me about David's car. Okay, I'm calling you.

Sue said...

I love your thoughts. Isn't His peace wonderful!

Love you

shanna said...

We were talking this morning in bible study about suffering...at how it comes with the package of salvation. How it keeps us close. I love when He reminds me of this. I love that He reminded you of this too. I love that He gave you a few minutes of peace so the two of you could snuggle on the couch :) LOVE YOU!

ccrisp said...

I am so proud of you for starting James. My verse for today is James 1:19 "My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." I love reading your blogs. You inspire me to be a better person, wife, mother, and friend. Love you, Cari

deleise said...

mom-yes, it is.

shanna-you are right, it does come with the package!

cari-you inspire me, too. Your verse for today looks like one I will be stopping on as well.

SheriYates said...

Love this!