Saturday, February 16, 2008

Chocolate Velvet Rock Star


A few girlfriends from college and I get together occasionally and celebrate stuff. We can always come up with something. And one of us always brings a spectacular dessert. David claims we treat our desserts like rock stars. Ok, I’ll admit we plan our night around them, squeal over them, photograph them and worship them for a short time, but I don’t think it’s too over the top. Anyway, it’s time for me to share one of our rock stars with you.

Chocolate Velvet Dessert

1-1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 cups (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
6 egg yolks
1-3/4 cups whipping cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
1/2 cup butter softened
3 cups confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons baking cocoa
3 to 4 tablespoons milk

In small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9 in. springform pan. Bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Cool on wire rack.
In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips; stir until smooth. Cool. In a mixing bowl, combine egg yolks, cream and vanilla; beat well. Gradually stir a third of the cream mixture into melted chocolate until blended. Gradually stir in remaining cream mixture. Pour into crust.
Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 for 40-45 minutes or until center s almost set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight.
For frosting, in a mixing bowl, cream butter. Combine confectioners' sugar and cocoa; add to butter with enough milk to achieve frosting consistency. Pipe into center of dessert. Refrigerate. Makes 12-16 servings. Taken from Taste of Home

7 comments:

Marcie said...

Oh yeah, that's a good one! My mouth is watering! Does this make me a "groupie" or something?

deleise said...

Marcie, I think it is safe to say we are chocolate groupies.

Laura said...

Oh how I wish I good be a groupie with you. I love any reason to be with friends and eat dessert! Love the blog!!

shanna said...

YUM! I need to get some healthy dinner recipes from you sometime. I hear you are quite the cook :)

Seth, Annelise, Elijah, & Joshua said...

YUM! Looks so good! Thanks for sharing the recipe! Can't wait to try it!

Jenny-K said...

Deleise, why do you torture me with these pictures of chocolate?! Just kidding, sounds delish!

Jenny-K said...

And you know me, I love rock stars (especially chocolate ones).