Sunday, February 10, 2008

Conner


April 22, 2007 ~ February 2, 2008

Last week our family and several of our friends watched helplessly as this baby we had grown to love began to slip from this life. It is bittersweet. He is now perfect and healthy and oh-so-happy. His family, on the other hand, is obviously not.

During the funeral it was said that Conner achieved more in his short 9 months than many men achieve in 90 years. I feel quite certain that is true. Over the last several months as we have gotten to know Conner and his family, so many beautiful things have been learned. He brought out gratefulness, generosity and compassion in my children stronger than I have ever seen before. I love watching how God constantly stirs their hearts to pray for this family. Those were all things that I wanted them to experience.

But then came the things I didn’t want them to experience. Concern over a baby’s life, pain, grief … all things that, if given the choice, I very well might of protected them from. But as we sat in that funeral and I watched my children experience deep pain for someone else, I realized that the good lessons are not always the easy ones, or the ones I would have chosen. And I felt grateful, not for their pain, but for their ability to empathize with someone else’s pain. And grateful that God doesn’t leave me solely in charge of the lessons. He takes over where I am ready to bail. And then we all learn a little something.

11 comments:

Tim and Christie said...

Deleise, I saw you and your family at the funeral. As I saw your sweet babies' red eyes and tears, I thought it was beautiful (I hope that you hear that right) You allowed your children to go to the deep parts of the heart of God to learn to love like He loves...and with that came the time to hurt like He hurts when His children hurt. I am challenged by you to not 'protect' my children from pain because in doing this they could miss out on the joy of loving as He loves.

Your family is beautiful and from my point of view, is the walking heart of Jesus.

Jenny-K said...

It was a tough service to sit through, but at the same time, it really made me realize that I don't want to idle away any more time. I want every second to count for something. When he said that about all that Baby Conner had accomplished in his short nine months, I just started thinking about how amazing God really is and how He knows exactly who to bring together. I'm just in awe!

stacy said...

so heart breaking! praying for all who loved conner!

deleise said...

Christie- Thank you for your words, friend. They meant so, so much to me.

Jenny-You are so right. What a great realization to walk away with.

Stacy-I know his parents could especially use your prayers.

shanna said...

Oh Deleise...I type this thru tears...I was so moved by the compassion you and your children showed. God was so moved. As I sat there Friday I KNEW Jesus was weeping with us all! I am so proud of you for wading out into the deep waters with your kids! You gave them a gift by allowing them to walk thru this with you! I AM SO PROUD OF YOU! Henry, Jodi, Jodi's sister and the girls came to church and Chuck E. Cheese with us today. They are doing better. Henry had real joy. He even got up in the big play thingy with Jerome and the kids. I knew His joy could only come from God and it was a miracle. I know God has done something deep on the inside of Him thru this. He is trading his mourning for laughter and his ashes for beauty! Jodi showed me pictures of Conner on her phone and said it is getting easier each day. She cries less and less. He is healing her! Thank you for loving Jesus by loving them! Thank you for leading your kids to love them deeply! I LOVE YOU!!!!!

The Rusty Hoe said...

"The good lessons are not always the easy ones." Such a profound statement my friend.

I'm sorry for your family and friends' pain. May you feel the peace and love of Jesus. May he heal your tender and aching hearts.

Chick4Christ said...

Conner loss was so sad :(
i'm still praying for the family and all close friends..


also, thank you for your comment :) and i made those fudge brownies yesterday! yummy :)

love ya

Theresa said...

My heart and prayers go out to Conner's family, you and your family. Thank you for sharing this precious life with us.

Marcie said...

Powerful words, Deleise. What an inexplicable tragedy. Although I don't know the family, my prayers are with them. We've both known difficult circumstances and how God uses them for His glory. I would never want to repeat some of my past painful experiences, but I know they've made me who I am today... grateful for every precious moment.

deleise said...

Shanna- thank you so much. And thank you for your selflessness with them. You and Jerome play such a huge part in their lives.

Oney, Wendy, and Theresa- your prayers are appreciated! Wendy I'm glad you liked the brownies. You are such a good cook. Hmmm...I could use one of your famous salads right now.

Marce-Your painful experiences have shaped both of us into who we are today. NOW I wouldn't take them back..back then, I don't know. :)

Sue said...

I can't quit crying long enough to comment. What a beautiful child.

All the days planned for me were written in your book before I was one day old. Psalm 138:16

The plan for Conner's life is difficult to understand, even though it is the perfect plan. I'm so sorry that you, David, your kids and your friends have experienced such pain. I am thankful that God put you in the lives of Conner's family. All of you have been an example of love and faith. I know God has blessed you and will continue to guide you as you minister to the family.