Friday, February 22, 2008

Adored

A couple of nights ago my friend was talking about her two year old daughter whom I adore. She was telling about how she had been trying to aggravate her big brothers by calling them “stupid” (well, ok, actually “tupid“). I immediately refused to believe that this was going on. If you knew this little girl, you would understand where I am coming from. She is a bundle of preciousness. I could eat her up with a spoon. The conversation went back and forth with me telling my friend that she was lying, there was no way this adorable child had done wrong. Her brother even confirmed the accusation with this little cutie standing obliviously right behind him with a sweet grin on her face and her blonde hair sprouting up from her pink bow. I accused them of being in cahoots and spreading rumors. Obviously it was all in jest, but the point was made that, as far as I was concerned, this child was blameless and perfect and no one was going to change my mind on that.

I think that is how God feels about us. As far as He is concerned, after forgiveness our sins are as far as the east is from the west. We are forgiven. When we are continuing to feel guilt for our sins, and feel like we aren’t worthy of His love, I think he is standing there with the same attitude I had about my friend's daughter. He is shaking his head at our insecurities, saying “No, that isn’t true, you are blameless, I adore you.” I think He sees us as precious-eat-us-up-with-a-spoon-perfect. And all of the self-condemnation and guilt in the world can’t change His mind because our hefty price has already been paid. That’s the gift that His forgiveness and grace gives us, right? I love that.

So.

Go ye therefore and feel precious and adored. Because you are. And you don’t want to waste that.

8 comments:

Laura said...

Great reminder. Love the story too!

Stef Swindell said...

Thanks for that story, it was such a good reminder of how God sees us :)

shanna said...

I needed to hear this! Love you!

Theresa said...

I'm with Shanna, I really needed to hear this. Very nice perspective. Thank You!!!

Chick4Christ said...

that really just made me smile :)

we hear all day long "Jesus love you!"

but hearing, and beleiving are two different things! we get so caught up in our guilt so mamy times that we really do forgte just how much HE does Love us!

SheriYates said...

What a sweet illustration! I love your blog! It was sweet to meet you tonight. I am schooling for the 1st year and need the time with other women - like tonight! thanks for sharing it!

Robin Meadows said...

aww....sweet words. Today, I'm going to "go ye therefore"!

Thanks, Deleise!

Amy said...

Today was one of those days with my 2 year old gift from God. I love to go into her room after she falls asleep and see her for who she really is not how she acted. Thanks for reminding me that God must do that with each of us too. Please know that God uses you to speak to us. I treasure your friendship and am inspired by your example.