Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Two more things

Ok, I want to discuss two more Disney related topics and then you will hear me speak of it no longer. By the way, hi everyone, my computer has been messed up and I haven't been able to post or read much, or check my email. I have to wait to use David's work laptop when he gets home in the evening and he wants to take it back to work with him Every. Single. Day. Whatever. It has been a very trying time for me. Sniff, sniff.

Back to my two unrelated topics.

First I wanted to share something that happened on our vacation that I thought was so precious. You know those pressed pennies? The ones that touristy places have that the machine squishes and it embosses a picture and logo onto it? Well, those pennies were Riley and Cole's obsession at Disney World. Each place had its own unique penny and character. There are literally hundreds of them. And they were a fine fit for the 6 and 7 year old budgets.

The first day of our vacation we went to Epcot. We went around to each "country" and they got pennies for every one of them. Riley came back to the room and admired her pennies for a long time. She was so proud of them. When she was finished, she wrapped them safely in a ball of tissue and placed it securely by the trash can. She did this without counsel from her elders.

Enter housekeeping.

You know where this is going, don't ya? Obviously when we returned to our cleaned room, all used-looking tissues had been disposed of and the pennies were gone. Riley was crushed. She sat out on the balcony and wept.

David mentioned the sad incident to our concierge. And let me tell you, these Disney people are magical. They want everyone to be happy. The next day we came back to our room and on the bed was a book full of pennies and a note from Lorenzo that said. "Enjoy Miss Riley!"





Isn't that fun?

Ok, last topic I need to cover.

Shoes.

If you have been to Disney World you have some idea of the many miles you walk daily. It is a workout. You know what shoes I wore. But I was amazed at some of the shoes I saw. I seriously saw two pairs of 4 inch stilettos before I started documenting this phenomenon. What in the world?


Check these out. Mmmm...comfy for 10 hours of constant pounding on asphalt, no?



I know some of you are going to be distracted by the cute french pedi and adorable style of these shoes, but focus, they clearly were not intended for marathon walking. Good grief.




There were lots of these, it's a bad photo, but work with me, it was my first undercover gig. You know the type, hard, thin, flat soles. They were everywhere.




Trust me, I love a cute shoe. Love the shoes. But it's a theme park! Do people have no regard for their arches at all? Do they just think they can treat them any way they want and they will be there for them forever? Friends, we must support them! They are the reason we are mobile! Without them we are nothing! Nothing! Three cheers for our arches! Ok. I'm done. Have a nice night.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally love you and your undershoe/cover shots. I am with you. You should be the spokeswoman for the FitFlops! I Love Love Love mine. I also love my Keens. Those I can wear to work.

Lorenzo is a good man!!! Should write his boss a letter!

Kelsey said...

Love the sneaky shoe pics. I bet they were sorry they wore those at the end of the day!

deleise said...

Theresa, he is writing a letter!

Anonymous said...

Love the stories....miss you and glad you're back.


Dads are the BEST!!

Praying for a quick fix for that computer!

~Robin

Laura said...

OK - Nancy Drew! You are funny. It is truly amazing what people will wear to a theme park.

What a sweet thing Lorenzo did for Riley! How precious is that!!

My Blessings From Above said...

What a very nice thing for Disney to do! My boys collect those pennies as keepsakes from all of our vacations.

Love the undercover work!

Marcie said...

LOVED the penny story! Maybe Disney World really IS the happiest place on Earth? In any case, how sweet of Lorenzo to come to precious Riley's rescue!
And also a hearty "Amen" on the arch issue. There's a time and a place to make a fashion statement, but traipsing around Disney World -- on foot! -- isn't one of them.

Paper Arts said...

I'd love to wear any of those shoes right about now...but thinking about hiking all over Disney in them make my "good" foot ache as bad as my "bad" foot.

Unknown said...

Only at Disney

rk said...

I founf you via Theresa. You are really cool. What a beautiful family. And I love the shoe pics. Funny!

Roxanne

Lani said...

The torture people will put themselves through is amazing to me. Aiyee! I'm loving my FitFlops, by the way. You were the final push and I'm so glad you did. And what a sad story with a beautiful ending regarding Riley's coins... so sweet.