Sunday, October 19, 2008

Sometimes simple is the most fun




David recently trimmed our trees and when he finished we had several huge piles of limbs that needed to be burned. Finally last weekend, conditions were perfect for bonfire night.


And what is more fun than watching someone burn brush? That's right. Nothin'.


So we bought some hot dogs and made some chili and called the family.


They came a runnin'.


And we had a time.









Take it easy there, David's Blaze.







We really could have used some of that fire-proof gel used by stuntmen to roast hot dogs on this fire. Or a 20 foot roasting stick.



But the perfectly roasted dogs and marshmallows were worth the 2nd to 3rd degree face burns. And I feel certain David's eyebrows will be back before we know it, you know how fast hair grows.



There was some flashlight fun

And the ever-popular scary walk through the wooded trails. You know the one. With the uncle waiting in there to scare you?




And s'mores. Extra proof of God's love for us.



I felt a little bad because I spent an awful lot of the evening fretting over the sparks that were flying into the trees that connect to other trees that touch my roof. All the while with my sweet lying sisters trying to pretend that they thought it was all good. I didn't want to be whiny, I just have a lot going on this week and didn't really schedule time for filing insurance and shopping for a new house and belongings and whatnot.




We ended our evening with a late night deck showing of Hip-Hop With Riley and Taryn





And of course, their supportive brothers didn't want them to have too much of the spotlight...





Whoa, getting out of hand. Cover your eyes.





And finally, Cole realized as everyone was leaving that he was they only one who had not performed, so he quickly threw together an oldie but goodie, The Amazing Webkins Juggling Act.


The night was simple, it was basically unplanned, and it was a ton of fun.


And one of the best parts? I still have my house.

10 comments:

Tristan said...

That was a really fun night. We love bonfire nights at your house. They are some of our favorite memories. Thanks for the fun!

Marcie said...

Looks like a blast! A whole lot more fun than those bonfire pep rallies we had in high school!

Anonymous said...

Love the entertainment!!

I would have fretted over the sparks too. It is just the way I am wired.

Kelsey said...

Oh man! Looks like we missed out on quite the fun after we left. Matthew will be totally bummed that he missed the hip-hop. However, you all may be glad that you didn't have to witness his "mad" dance skills.

Anonymous said...

See? That's almost like camping! FUN!!

~Robin

Anonymous said...

See? That's almost like camping! FUN!!

~Robin

Anonymous said...

I don't think it's unreasonable at all, AT ALL, I tell you that you didn't want to file insurance papers or house search.

Sounds right on to me.

Anonymous said...

Please come visit my blog. I have named you one of my Honest Blogs!

:)

Natalie Witcher said...

SO great! That fire was HUGE!! Girl, you're funny.

Um, I'm thihking he's diggin' the glow in the dark spider shirt...I've seen that somewhere before.

Andi Hawkins said...

That was some pretty funky hip-hop! I love those kinds of evenings. Truly the best.