Sunday, October 26, 2008

Cookin' with the kiddos

I've decided to start posting some recipes for kids every once in a while. I'm a huge fan of getting the kids in the kitchen. It is such a great experience for them for so many reasons. I love what can be accomplished in one sitting.

Great math, science, and nutrition lessons naturally occur when cooking together, and the bonding is a great perk, too. I treasure the time I spend with my kids, listening to music and working on a recipe together. The conversation starts flowing and it is always rewarding. I love watching them get creative as they get more experience under their belts, wanting to change things in recipes, or develop something completely on their own.

We make all kinds of things together, but I am going to be posting some recipes that are pretty foolproof. Some that young, beginning chefs can make basically on their own, giving them a great feeling of success and helping them want to do more. And trust me, when eventually they can whip out just about any recipe on their own, it makes all of that time and mess worth it! Plus, those kitchen memories will last forever. And the future spouses of these children? They shall rise and call us blessed.

Cole's Stuffed Pizza Sticks
2 cans crescent rolls
8oz shredded mozzarella
1 package pepperoni
Place one can of crescents on a cookie sheet and press all seams together to seal.


Roll with a rolling pin to flatten it out just a bit


Sprinkle with cheese. Be sure that you have every hairband you have ever found on your wrist.
.
layer pepperoni over cheese
.
And top with the second can of crescents. Make sure seams are sealed and pinch closed all around the edges so your cheese won't ooze out. Bake at 375 degrees for...I don't know how long. I was going to time it so I could tell you but I forgot. Just till it's golden brown.Cut into strips and enjoy!

You can't mess it up. You can use whatever pizza "toppings" you want, and you could add sauce if you like. It's a great cooking confidence builder!

8 comments:

Andi Hawkins said...

It's like a calzone!! It could be Cole's Calzone. Ha!

Very good recipe. Usually other people's "kid" recipes still intimidate me, but I think I can do this one!!

Anonymous said...

Great pics and ideas!! Miss you!!

~Robin

Kelsey said...

Yum!

Marcie said...

Oh my! I'm hungry right now, and that looks AWESOME!

Mary Ann said...

That sounds good. We will have to try it.

Sue said...

Cole

That looks delicious and it is pretty. Come on over and make one for Grammy.

Love you

Anonymous said...

I'd like to order 2 for delivery. I want Ham and olives on the first one and pepperoni and extra cheese on the second one. I think I have a coupon around here somewhere. Oh yes here it is....I get a free order of Spicy Chicken Wings and some Rock Star Dessert!!

Miss you!

Betty Ann said...

Cole:

I really like that recipe. Will you make it sometime when you are at out house?

Love,

Grandma Betty Ann