Friday, June 27, 2008

Powerful words

Wednesday afternoon my sweet friend gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. Let me tell you, she is yum-my. I could nuzzle her for days. But what was supposed to be a fun and joyous time has turned into a scary situation with one bit of disheartening news after another.

Today another friend of mine had the idea to take cards with Bible verses to the hospital to put around her bed. She wanted to surround her with the word of God and give her parents truth to read and meditate on. A couple of us searched online and through the Bible until we found verses that we thought would bring hope and peace in this time of unrest.

We took the scripture cards to the hospital and I showed them to the precious baby’s father. As he read them, the tears began to flow . He was overwhelmed by God's words. Oh, do those words have power. They have power to comfort. They have power to guide. They have power to heal. They have power to let us know we are not alone. They are everything. Everything.

My friend and I plastered our cards all over this sweet baby’s NICU bed. As I handed each card to her and she taped them on, one by one, the whole feel of the sterile bed began to change. It felt warmer. It felt more hopeful.

It felt powerful.

His word is real. It is sovereign and it is truth. It is all we need. And we are claiming His promises.

8 comments:

Theresa said...

I am claiming them here for that little one also!!! All of my prayers to them.

I can't even imagine and with the events this week here we are already suited up to wage the spiritual battle of prayer.

Lani said...

Wow. So sorry the news hasn't been good for sweet baby girl. Thinking of you all. Hugs.

Kelsey said...

I forget the power His words have. I am praying.

Amy said...

God used you to speak his truth today. You were given the perfect scriptures and is was awesome to witness in person the effects that they had. God's presence was so obvious. Thank you for sharing today with me and for making me smile even when my heart is broken.

deleise said...

Thanks for the prayers everyone. I know they covet them.

Amy, you were the leader, girl, thanks for stepping up.

Marcie said...

Oh my goodness... I may not be acquainted with your friend, but I know God knows her and her situation intimately. I will pray!

Robin Meadows said...

Such TRUTH! Let them know that many are praying.

stacy said...

what a wonderful way to minister to hurting hearts. and you are right, God's Word is powerful. i'll remember your idea and share it with the hurting people in my life. and i'll send up a prayer for your friends and their sweet baby girl.