Sunday, June 22, 2008

On parenting

I am in a season of my life when I have no confusion about my calling . It is to be the best wife and mom that I can be. It seems simple enough, but it really is quite complicated, isn’t it? I want desperately to do the right thing with my kids and to give them what they need, but I am forever messing up. Thankfully I have a God and a family that showers me with grace.

And that makes me want to keep on trying.

I am reading a book right now about how different children have different needs and I read something that knocked me upside the head. It is about how well-meaning parents sometimes try to raise kids according to what has worked for themselves. You know, inadvertently trying to make a mini-me.

Along the same lines, we often try to discourage behaviors in our children that we don’t like in ourselves. And while we are trying to encourage and discourage we might possibly be leading these little personalities away from the traits that God has instilled in them.

Does that make sense? Like, maybe you have a very argumentative kid, and you continually try to squelch that, when God actually made this child that way because it is a trait he or she will need to fulfill his/her calling at some point. It may just need some refining.

After thinking about it I realized I may be really guilty of this. We certainly train our kids to do what we feel is right, but right for who? So now in my head there is this incredibly fine line between allowing my children to be bent in a certain God-given direction, and training them to be respectful, responsible human beings.

This is hard! And they are all different? Seriously? Did God really read my resume before He gave me this job?

I am quite certain that when God was trying to decide how to get us to deepen our relationships and prayer life with him, he thought “Hey! How about I put them in charge of a bunch of really different, complex small people that they are responsible for until adulthood?"

Hmmmm... well thought-out plan.

13 comments:

Marcie said...

Oh boy... I have so much to learn. I've only had 18 months of on-the-job experience, and I feel like I'm just flying by the seat of my pants. You're one of my role models, you know. I think you're a fantastic mom! I think God told me something recently. I was praying that He would mold me into the wife and mother He wants me to be, and I swear I almost heard Him say, "I'll be so happy to do that Marcie, but I'll need you to stop trying so hard then, to be the wife and mother that YOU think you need to be." Wow!
This is one tough job, but I do love it!

Kelsey said...

Very good...thank you!

Robin Meadows said...

No kidding! What's the book you're reading?

deleise said...

Robin, it is Different Children, Different Needs by Dr. Charles F. Boyd. It's all about relating to each child's unique personality and helping them find God's design just for them.

deleise said...

Marcie, you are an awesome mommy too! I love what God revealed to you, that could be a life altering discovery. His way is probably way easier, too!

Kim Heinecke said...

Glad to see the name of the bppk. I'm going to read it.
I am a control-freak-in-need-of-a-12-step-program...

Natalie Witcher said...

OH, He IS good. Sneaky and funny, but gooooood.

Thanks for the post and reminder!

Lani said...

What a great post. And thanks for sharing this book... I'll be reading it soon. My boys are so entirely different, and I can see if I don't learn some things soon, my second boy and I are going to be fighting each other our entire lives. I plan on doing something about that.

Amy Newberry said...

I love this post. I know that God is using my children to refine me and some days I love it. Some days I resist it. A good friend of mine told me recently that grace is not truly experienced until it is extended. This is so so true. God has extended grace to me through my children. I really didn't know how to receive it until I learned to extend it. It's an amazing thing....grace that is.

shanna said...

He definitely uses our sweet babies to keep us close to Him. I loved this post!

Natalie Witcher said...

deleise? are you there? is this thing on?

deleise said...

I know, Natalie!

I'm back.

BraggFam said...

WOW, ok I read this at just the right time. Thank you so much for sharing.