Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Omelet in a bag



Or shall I say fun-deliciousness-in-a-bag? This is one of our favorite "fun" meals. I've done some research on the scare of cooking in plastic and couldn't find anything credible enough to make me stop doing this. Especially considering that we only do it occasionally.

Get some freezer Ziploc bags and let everyone put their name on one with a sharpie.

Crack two eggs into each bag and add 2 tablespoons of milk.

Set out all kinds of fillings in bowls. Bacon, ham, cheese, peppers, tomatoes, onions, olives, whatever.

If you want your soul to be at rest, make sure the bowls are clear glass of the same size and lined up like it is a Food Network show. But that’s only for those of you who care about a restful soul.

Have everyone put whatever ingredients they want into their bag. Zip 'em shut and squish them around until ingredients are combined. Make sure all of the air is out of the bag. Throw into a large boiling pot of water for 13 minutes (you can do up to 8 at a time). Remove from water and roll out onto plate. Every omelet is ready at the same time, and there is no clean-up.

See, what did I tell ya…fun-deliciousness-in-a-bag.

13 comments:

Kim Heinecke said...

Okay, post stealer...

We do this when we go camping and it's great fun! Guess I'll point folks to your blog when I had planned to write about this. Good thing I'm pretty fond of you, girlie. :)

And it is important to use FREEZER bags. Not the flimsy cheap stuff or you'll be eatin plastic!

deleise said...

Great minds....

Yes, we have tried it with regular bags and got leaks. Definitely freezer bags.

Amy said...

You actually prepare food for your family in plastic bags even though you have been duly warned about the danger?

We can so be friends.

Theresa said...

This is so cool. This things I can learn from you Oklahoma Women!

Roger Garrett said...

I have done that and it is fun. I also scramble eggs in the microwave. So much faster and they come out really light and fluffy

Natalie Witcher said...

Yea, Kim had us do that the ONE TIME we went girls camping. It was fun. I admit...it was fun.

Sue said...

NO CLEAN UP!!! GOTTA LOVE IT!

Marcie said...

I've heard of this before but haven't tried it. Sounds yummy and fun... and the only way to make omelets and have them ready for all to eat at the same time... that is, unless you have several little omelet pans lined up, each with its own heat source... which I do not... Funny you should mention eggs 'cause tonight's dinner at the Smith household is Frittata!

Anonymous said...

Now that is some cleverness.

Susan said...

WOW! That sounds great! I will have to try that with my scouts this fall! Thanks for the great idea!

Bobbi West said...

Okay, I spent nearly all summer, every summer for the fist 16 years of my life camping and have never had, nor heard of this crazy concoction of eggciting goodness! Maybe cuz' all the grownups where to drunk to boil water?!

Lani said...

I've heard of doing this in the microwave, but never boiling. Thanks, though, for explaining to me "why" a person would do this - the convenience of getting everyone's personal omelet done at the same time. Brilliant, my dear.

Erica said...

We still need to try this. Thanks for the reminder.