Thursday, January 29, 2009

Here's the thing.

If you head into the mall at 6:00 in the pm and it is still nice and slushy in the parking lot, and you end up spending a lot of time at said mall taking care of very important mall business, like eating Chinese-ish food and emailing yourself goofy pictures that you and your kids take while playing in the Apple Store, you may not notice that the temperature has dramatically dropped outside.

So you will head out of the mall around 9:00 blissfully unaware that conditions have changed. You will confidently and briskly walk into the parking lot, which has quietly frozen solid, and all of a sudden your life will turn into a cartoon.


It won’t be an elegant Dusty Tackle fall. No, oh no. Your arms and legs will be flailing. cue slow-mo You will hear your children's distorted screams of horror as you run in place, convulse in midair and crash to the ground. Your husband will drop to your aid on the asphalt and the people will gather and stare.


Your husband will then walk you to your car, holding your arm like you are his dear old granny, while your children nervously cheer you on and pray for traction. Your leg will hurt. Your ankle will hurt. Your hand will hurt. Your self-worth will hurt.


These are the things I have heard can happen if you head into a slushy mall and later leave a frozen mall.


It ain’t called black ice for nothin’, friends.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

OUCH!!!

Sorry you took a tumble!

erin said...

Oh no! Hope you get better!

Marcie said...

OH NO!!! I hope you're all right. I also hope you don't mind that I was giggling as I read your story. And I hope you're not in traction. Seriously, a friend of mine slipped on a spilled Sonic drink a couple of months ago and now it seems she may have torn her rotator cuff. OUCH!

Anonymous said...

Oh no! Glad you didn't break something. ~Robin

deleise said...

Oh, I'm fine everyone. Please feel free to laugh at my expense.

Rhonda said...

That Chinese-ish food CAN be a killer...be careful, my dear!

Laura said...

OUCH! I'm glad you are ok!!

Kelsey said...

Glad you're ok.

"It's Unbelievable" said...

Well, I'm glad to read you're fine. I figure one of the better life skills I can teach my kids is how to laugh at themselves (not take themselves to seriously). You are maintaining a great sense of humor about all this. But honestly... I'm just glad your ok. I must have been so ouch.

Lani said...

Ok. That last comment was from me. Evidently my husband now has a Blogger account and was logged in. Who knew?

Sue said...

Glad you landed safely.

Nicole Knox said...

Had so much fun with you this weekend!