Sunday, January 11, 2009

Making memories

I once saw a little plaque that caught my eye and pops into my mind often “You never know when you are making a memory,” When you really think about it, are your memories based on what was going on, or on how you felt?

Try it. Remember something from your childhood. I bet your memory is based on a feeling. Whether it is a memory from Disney World or from sitting on your front porch. You remember it because of how it made you feel.

Originally this plaque conjured up thoughts of my kids having sweet images of fun family vacations and cuddling on the couch reading as their memories. Then it hit me. You never know when you are making a memory can mean bad memories, too. I don’t get to pick and choose my kids’ memories. So now when things are getting a little ugly, I try to remember that my children may be making a memory. Do I want them to have memories of being guided lovingly and treated with respect and grace? Or psycho mommy memories? Cause psycho mommy doesn’t leave a case of the warm fuzzies tucked away in the ol' memory bank. Anyone? I fail miserably so often, but hopefully nice mommy outweighs psycho mommy in their minds.


One Christmas when I was growing up, my grandfather was in the hospital. We ended up spending Christmas day at the hospital with him and my grandma. You can imagine my unChristmasy feelings about this memory, huh? Well, my memories from that Christmas are really fun. My memories are of eating snacks and being silly and taking hilarious pictures of my dad being a goofball in the lobby. My memories are of going up and down elevators and getting drinks from the coke machines. Now the truth is, there is a chance that we sat in a depressing waiting room. That we were bored at some point. That we were a little sad. But if that was the case, I certainly don‘t remember that part of it. My parents knew the potential of spending Christmas at a hospital and they worked overtime to seemingly effortlessly execute a fun Christmas for me and my sister.

It comes down to this.

It is what we make it.

It takes effort.

And I think the effort is going to be worth it.

9 comments:

Lani said...

Deleise, this was really nice. I needed to hear that. I was talking with Craig the other day wondering if I used an angry voice with the boys too much. Me asking probably means I have a little work to do. It's hard work, but you said it... it's worth it. *skips off whistling to try harder at making good memories for my boys*

Jenn said...

Thanks for this great reminder. I posted a comment on "More Stocking Fun" a while back to share with you who I am. God sent me to your blogs at the right time. It was Christmas break & I needed a reboost before our homeschool began again. Thanks for letting God use you.

Nicole Knox said...

This is so true. Thanks for the reminder.

Natalie Witcher said...

I love the thought that my girls will have their own set of delicious memories. It won't be of food, but you know what I mean!

Mandy said...

This is PERFECT. "My children may be making a memory." I HAVE to remember this. I love this post.

Marcie said...

Good stuff, Deleise. If only I can remember those truths each day... guess I need to find that plaque you saw so I can hang it on my wall... or around my neck...

Andi Hawkins said...

I wish I read this earlier today. Ha!!

Anonymous said...

Great Post!!

I have heard myself and stopped talking because of the way it sounded. Sometimes it is hard when you don't feel well or something to remember it isn't all about you.

Can't wait to see you!!

Leslie said...

Great post! Thank you for this gentle reminder!

Blessings,
Leslie (from FIAR)