Sunday, January 18, 2009

Clearing the crazy

If you are like me, you can have you house sparkling one day and the next it looks like someone picked it up and shook it around like a snow globe, then placed it back on the foundation. Especially if you have a whole slew of kids hanging out in it all day.

And the thought of getting back the tidy? It’s overwhelming. And disheartening. And exhausting. Which is what led me to create zone cards for my house. Is “zones” a fly lady thing? I don’t do fly lady, but I’m thinking she uses the word zones.

ANYway.

Here is how it works. Once a day (ideally), I hand everyone a zone card. I have 4 cards, because I have 4 servants…I mean kids. Oh come on, they are the ones who made the mess, right?

Zone time is not about deep cleaning. It’s about getting the house to a level where I can be at peace. Where we can all function. It’s about clearing the clutter. Clearing the chaos. Which in turn, clears the mama of crazy. And I think we all know, when that happens, everyone wins.

I do this for downstairs only. The kids are all responsible for other chores and for keeping their own rooms and playroom clean upstairs, but the zone is about the family common areas.

I divided downstairs into 4 cards. Living room/Entry, dining room, family room, kitchen. On each card I write the tasks that need to be accomplished. They are quick, easy tasks. Just to get the room in order.

Here are my cards. As you can see I put a lot of time and creative thought into the design and aesthetics of these cards. You don’t have to make yours this fancy if you don’t want to.




Everyone has a “place” where their stuff belongs. If you find someone’s stuff in your zone, you take it to their place. My place is the office, each kids’ place is in the doorway of their room (so they’ll consider putting it away when they have to step over it)( yes, I said consider).

So, hand out cards, crank some music, GO! I kind of follow around and help where I am needed, especially the kitchen. And I kid you not, in about 10 minutes our house looks like we could have a party. Even less time if we don’t skip days.

As soon as we quit skipping days, I’ll let you know exactly how much less time. Please don’t hold your breath, that could be risky.
But I’m trying. That counts for something, right?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the cards. I think that the beauty is what sells this idea!!

Maybe you could have me over for training in a couple weeks.

Bonnie said...

Zones ... great idea !!

Lani said...

When you master the "clearing the crazy", let me in on your secret, m'kay? I'm amazed how fast the boys can trash the place around here. Takes less than 15 minutes... they just wait for me to get engrossed in something and away they go.

Kim Heinecke said...

You are my hero.

Andi Hawkins said...

My kids are trashing my house as soon as thier feet hit the floor in the morning. I can't wait for them to help clean it all up!! Is one too young to start??

Jenn said...

Fly Lady and I were friends before I had 4 kids. Now I'm just too overwhelmed to hang with her anymore. So...I love the card idea. That would definitely help me feel less crazy!

Marcie said...

Great idea! Man... I gotta get me some more kids! If I assigned Noah and Doris a zone, I'd end up with more trouble than when I started.

Kelsey said...

Great idea! I hate clutter!

Shannan said...

Loved this! We don't even do bows yet and I had tears in my eyes!