Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Hair bows

Seasons change, and kids grow. Sometimes painfully catching us off guard, it seems our sweet babies morph into little humans with minds and tastes of their own.
.

I remember when this first started happening with Riley. It was hair bows. Oh, how we loved hair bows. We loved to buy them. Loved to match them to outfits. Loved to put them in her hair. Even though she barely had any hair.
.

For years, hair bows were her thing.

Then one day it was over.

She was done with hair bows. And that stung me in some surprising ways. I was a little taken aback. Why did I care so much about hair bows? It was fabric and clips! What was going on with me? Then I realized. It represented more.
.
It represented a shift in her mind. She was growing up. And I wasn’t ready.

I’ve had to come to grips with some things since my children began the process of becoming themselves. I’ve learned to embrace their individuality and expressions. To wait patiently and try to not react to the harmless style choices. And to know that it is not about what I like anymore.
.
The truth is, I really never thought that I would pay real live U.S. dollars on boys’ jeans that someone had violently demolished and then folded and placed on the store shelf. Or that I would share my straight iron and hair bands with someone in this house that ISN'T RILEY. But I like it. I like it.

As long as your hearts are right, and you are truly being you, express away my sweet babies.

I am thankful that I came to this place before last weekend when Riley made a request to express.


.





And I was able to grant it to her, with a smile.

I think years ago I would have thought it was weird and a little too out there for a sweet little girl. I probably would have discouraged it. But I‘ve grown.

Although I may not have chosen it for her, I think it’s fun (plus it fades away after a couple of washes). And she loves it. She thinks it looks awesome. After all, it’s not as if she is trying to portray herself as someone she isn’t. It doesn’t represent anything except that she is a girl who wants to express her pink.


The same girl whose heart is the purest of pure.

The same girl who loves Jesus and her family in the deepest possible way.
The same girl who is as tenderhearted as the days when she wore sweet little dresses with matching hair bows.

.
Hair bows get packed away in boxes before we are ready, saved forever by mommies for reasons they cannot quite articulate.


Hair bows end.

But beautiful hearts live forever.
.
.
.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the Pink Stripe!!! I really honestly do. I just recently had a conversation with someone about pink stripes in hair.

They grow so fast. Good Job Mom to remember to grow with them. :)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful cake. I was a huge fan of Strawberry Shortcake when I was a little girl. It's so amazing how some characters endure. Hope you had a lovely party!

Marcie said...

Why oh why do you have to make me cry... I don't think I'm cut out for this... I mean, I cried when Noah gave up his pacifier! And that was actually our goal at the time--to wean him off of it. Then when our tactic worked, I wanted to go back to the way it was. MY BABY!!!!!!

Ali said...

Love the pink! I put pink in Lily's hair last year and she loved it! The way I look at it is it's just hair it will always come out!

kacie said...

you made me cry!!! I will probabley go through that too...plus I am starting to see signs of Haiden wanting to express herself too. You did pull on a heart string. Also, the pink is really cute...why not.

Amy said...

You are an awesome Mom! I have never felt so weepy over hair as I have just now. I am going to tuck your example away for when Mackenzie starts having an opinion about her hair.
(Still reading and lurking)

Nicole Knox said...

I love the pink hair!

Kelsey said...

What a great post.

Amy Newberry said...

LoVe it!

SheriYates said...

Deleise, that is such a precious post.

Natalie Witcher said...

ahhhh! Hey, Boog's been wanting a purple stripe! Where did you get that?

Martha said...

What a beautiful, beautiful way to look at your children (or other people in general). Think of all the hurt we could save one another if we could all look at others in this way.

diane said...

What a wise mother you are! And, what appropriate wisdom this is for such an awesome historic day for our country!

Bonnie said...

As long as your hearts are right, and you are truly being you, express away my sweet babies... I love that !! I try to live by that as well, I've just never heard it said that way ... it's good !! And the pink ... also good !!

kstrunk1972 said...

I had Addy's hair colored pink by my friend who is a hairdresser. It was very subtle and you could hardly tell but it wasn't me who had the problem with it. It was her father. He was really upset. Oh he calmed down after he realized the it really made her happy and that it really was harmless but there for a second I was afraid we were goin to have to color her hair again just to get the pink out.

Sue said...

CUTE!! You know what I have always said"It's only hair" Even when you were the 1st 8th grader with the latest style haircut'

Mandy said...

What a beautiful post. I love how you tell a story. And I love the pink hair. I had blue highlights once, and I'm kind of craving them again. You're a good mom. Your story fits in well with the Grace Based Parenting book I'm finishing up. You're a good mom. I thought I should repeat that a second time.

Anonymous said...

So good...something I learned a little later than I wish. Things (and hair, and belly button rings, and tattos) don't matter, but hearts do.

Love yours!
~Robin

I drive my tractor in pearls... said...

My girlie got some pink this past summer. It was such a gift to say "YES". So many times we have to say "no" and so this time I got to say YES and be the "COOL" mom!

And when the light catches it just right these 7 months later, you can still see pink...

We are already talking about what color for this summer!

As my husband said - its not a tattoo!

GOOD JOB on Momness!

Heather said...

I love that pink stripe. I would LOVE to have one myself.

Can I?

Heather W