Tuesday, January 8, 2008

30 things that make my heart happy

One of the things I want to do more of this year is to really focus on all of the little blessings that make my life joyful. I want to remember that the feelings these things give me are really touches from God, carefully selected to make me smile. Tonight I started a list (in no particular order) of some of those simple things that just bring happiness to my heart.


  • photos of my kids that reveal their personalities

  • the sound of coffee grinding

  • handmade gifts from my kids

  • the first day of flip-flop season

  • downy-fresh, high thread count sheets on my bed

  • the threat of a huge snowstorm

  • an empty laundry chute (well, empty of clothes, there are always a couple of kids in it)

  • a lit up Christmas tree in the dark living room

  • the smell of freshly cut grass on summer evenings

  • when God directs me to a Bible verse that speaks specifically to my situation

  • the smell of sunscreen and chlorine on my children

  • thunderstorms

  • the nights David blows the hairdryer on the freezing cold sheets right when I get in (yes, he really does)

  • doing pedicures with Riley

  • a clean house

  • being outside late at night when it is snowing

  • true worship experiences

  • a night with my girlfriends

  • David on the morning we leave for vacation

  • the smell of a just-opened package of diapers

  • pulling our kids out of bed for a surprise ice cream run

  • campfire roasted marshmallows

  • redecorating a room

  • finding an incredible bargain

  • the smell of fresh paint (reminds me of a new baby on the way)

  • hanging out in the library with my kids

  • date nights with David

  • the sound of my kids laughing together

  • watching David karaoke (yes, Honey, watching..not hearing...sorry...love you)

So, what makes your heart happy?

9 comments:

Jenny-K said...

I love it Deleise! I have quite a few of those on my list (my invisible list). I do need to write those things down. I would have to add 'the smell of babies, especially after a bath' and 'being on the back of a horse'.

David said...

Awesome list. No. 1 on my list? You.
Wanna karaoke tonight? I'm thinking it's time to bust out a little "Radar Love."

deleise said...

Jenny-definitely the smell of babies! And I'll have to try the horseback again, it's been a while.

David-Bring it on, Baby.

Jenny-K said...

You guys are hilarious! I'm gonna have to see (and maybe hear) that.

Tim and Christie said...

Great list! So many of those things would be on my list...two of them would not be...the laundry being caught up??? Hmmm. If this had ever happened to me long enough to for me to feel the happiness it would definetely be on the list! Maybe in 20 years!

And the smell of fresh paint? Well, I was actually just about to blog about that ironically! Go check it out. :)

I would add toddlers pointing to their eyes, nose, teeth, etc...

And a baby asleep on me :)

And definetly my kids teaching ME something about Jesus. :)

Laurie said...

Wow! Love the list! There are alot on that list that make my heart happy as well. Your special and should feel honored that this is the first comment that I have ever left on someones blog. Hee! Lub ya!

Sue said...

There are many things on your list that make me happy too. Unfortunately for David you got that redecorating a room thing from me! God has given me so many things that make me happy. Children and grandchildren are at the top.

shanna said...

I LOVE this! I love to watch Jerome and the boys in the back yard or at the park play together while I take pictures. I love nursing babies. I love snuggle time in the morning with the boys. I love watching them play army (when they are working together as a team). I love when Jerome laughs at himself. I love having coffee with someone new and hearing their story. I LOVE date nights...uniterupted conversation with Jerome is the best...this is when I find out what is REALLY going on in his inner world...he intrigues me! SOOOOOOO many! Maybe I will make a list too :)

Rhonda said...

Nowhere on that list did I see "old uncles"...(I won't tell) AND how in the world have I gone this long without hearing David karoake?! I must add a new one to MY list...Deleise Overcome. It's been a joy to read! Add another to your LIST OF TALLENTS!