Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Friends and cake

Theresa, Kim, Natalie, Robin, Cindy, Roger

If you don’t read these blogs, good golly get yourself over there and read!

I spent practically the whole weekend hanging out with these girls (not Roger, he's not a girl,but we did all get to have dinner with him and his adorable wife on Friday). We talked for hours on end. We laughed, we cried, it was like a really long, good chick flick. You know, the kind you keep thinking about after you leave the theater. I do love these amazing women. They are beautiful, challenging, inspiring and make-you-pee-your-pants hilarious. No, I didn’t. But thanks for asking.

Now on to cake.

To honor requests, I shall share now my top secret Chocolate cake recipe. I created this two summers ago for my sister's birthday. My goal was to come up with a cake that was really moist, because let's be honest, there is nothing more disappointing than dry cake. Anyone?

Here we go.

Deleise's Chocolate Layer Cake

Follow directions on the box of 1 duncan hines (but probably any brand) cake mix, EXCEPT
-add 1/2 cup sour cream
-replace water in directions with milk and add 1 tablespoon
-add an extra tablespoon of oil
-add 1 small box of chocolate pudding mix

Place in 2 9inch round pans and bake at 325 until done, which is longer than you will think but I don't know how long so just keep checking after about 30 minutes. I know, very specific right?

Cool on wire racks. Slice cakes horizontally making two layers from each cake, 4 total.

Icing (I didn't make this one up)
2 sticks butter, melted
1 1/3 cup Hershey's cocoa
6 cups powdered sugar
2/3 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla

Beat together at medium speed. Add more milk if needed.

If you decide not to cut layers and just make a two layer cake you will only need half of this frosting recipe. But please don't do that.

This cake is best cold.

Now if we can just get Natalie to give up her famous fry recipe. Seriously Nat, Garrett thinks your fries were the rockinest and I couldn't figure out which ones they were at the store last night.

11 comments:

Roger Garrett said...

Yes that cake was the best ever. thanks for making it

Theresa said...

I am still dreaming of those very yummy desserts that I was blessed enough to have made for me. They were both awesome, But my time with you all was the best.

Miss you already!

Theresa said...

ps....I think I hid it well but I had tears when I left your house Sunday. I just loved being there. I did say prayers in your faith swing. Next time we will both go out there. :)

Kelsey said...

Oh my~ I have made this cake sooo many times now. It is a hit up here in WV. Last time I made extra frosting and saved some instead of putting it all on the cake. We've been heating it up and putting it on top of a bowl of vanilla ice cream. It's quite the late night snack (or afternoon).

Sue said...

Yea!! I was going to call today to get this recipe. I need a dessert for a dinner and Garrett says this is the best. Love you

Mom

Anonymous said...

Uh, yum!

Love it.

And you :)

Sarah Markley said...

hey deleise - thank you soo much for visiting! your blog is so...so...just lovely. =) And your kids are beautiful!

thanks for your comment. =)

Kim Heinecke said...

This is the undisputed chocolate cake gospel - and I am a connoiseur of cake. I know things.

She is correct. That was a perfectly perfect weekend with amazing friends.

Natalie Witcher said...

The cake was soooo amazing! Now, about the fries. They are the frozen Ore Ida fries. Then just sprinkle season all salt on them. There, the secret is OUT!

Robin Meadows said...

The cake was good, the time spent even better! And that's saying something!!

Can't wait for next time.

Mary Ann said...

That cake is so good. Kelsey made if for us when we were in WV. I can't wait to make it for people in TX. Thanks for the recipe.