Monday, March 9, 2009

Letting go

I tend to have a hard time letting go.

When we first moved to this house, we were still in toddler and baby world and the thought of a pond in the backyard was not at all settling to me. It's big. And very deep. At the same time, I loved the pond and knew we were supposed to be here. I had a few rules, like any reasonable mom would,

“Do not go near the pond."
"Do not look at the pond."
"If you think of the pond, I will tie you to a chair."
"If you say the word 'pond', we are moving.”

You know, normal mom stuff.

We have had a blast over the last five years with a 1970s boat that had been my grandparent’s first fishing boat. David takes the kids and their friends out on it to fish, or just paddle around. Good times.

But today, the day came. Garrett and Tyler asked to take the boat out by themselves.

Gulp.
.
Instantly in my head, “think of all the things that could happen! They have only known how to swim for 10 years, they might forget! They could get crazy and tip the boat over! What if one of them hits his head and falls out, the other one might just ignore him and we’ll never see him again! What if there is a Pond Beast waiting to devour them!”

Again, normal mom stuff.
.
But I knew it was time.
.
So I let go.
.
And they were in heaven. They had a time. Being trusted with such a responsibility was fun. It was freeing. It was a new adventure. They literally were out there for hours. I could almost always see them from the windows of the house. When I couldn’t, I could open the door and hear the oars knocking against the boat and their voices and laughter.


And I knew I had done the right thing. Even though it made me feel a little insecure. And it made my mother gasp loudly on the phone.

It was right. And it was good.
.
Tyler even did his reading on the boat today .

They may have run into a few docking mishaps.

But they solved them on their own.

And learned from them for next time.

Sigh. Letting go stinks.
.
But it’s kind of a good stink.

18 comments:

Heather said...

Is it really that warm there? All I can think of is the massive case of hypothermia that would occur here if someone fell into the water- which is seriously inflated and flooding in most places as there has been significant snow melts and moving ice jams!

My oldest is 10...letting go is something we need to do more or so my husband says!!

Dusty Takle said...

My hubs grew up on a 1000 acres with 2 lakes. Oh the stories he can tell of young exploration. His parents were brave.

I'll let go when my kids are 18 or 22 or 40. But thanks anyway.

Marcie said...

But... (heart racing, breathing faster)...(gulp)... where are the life jackets? Do they know CPR? What if there's suddenly a lightning storm? What if fog sets in and they can't find their way back to shore? ;-)

You always seem so calm and collected to me. It somehow makes me feel better... more normal... when I know your worries too. I'm SO proud of you for "letting go." I'm already having to learn to let go little by little. (sigh) This parenting stuff is hard.

Sue said...

Sorry about the gasp, I wasn't aware of it!! It looks like they had a great time.

Andi Hawkins said...

Mmmmm. That made me cry. How beautiful. It is not easy to let go! I am barely having to do it yet and it still stabs me in the heart. Motherhood is soooo hard.

Kelsey said...

That is so cool. They are going to have the best memories from being out there on their own.

Mandy said...

Do you know how unbelievably magical that is for your kids? Oh my gosh. Awesome memories. and extra applause for your willingness to start letting go. i can't imagine how hard tha must feel, and yet, how magical for them. Magical. That's the only word I can think to describe it accurately.

Amy Newberry said...

This is a proud moment for me too! I have so much to learn from you girl!!!

Cindy Beall said...

Proud of you.

Anonymous said...

How fun for the boys!!!

I bet the water is stinky too!!

Erica said...

I'm glad you didn't call me and I'm proud of you for letting go. I'm not ready yet.

Anonymous said...

Oh, girl...I feel your pain. Letting go is hard...just wait until Garrett drives away by himself for the first time! (but we won't even go there right now...I fear heart-failure for you) :)

Do your kids have mud fights? I have great pictures of my guys COVERED in mud....fun times! ~Robin

Lani said...

I may possibly be a little hormonal right now, but nonetheless this post made me cry. Hugs you.

Betty Ann said...

It looks like Garrett and Tyler were having fun--they are really growing up fast!

Jennifer said...

I love your blogs. :)

You tell great stories. And your rules are right on target. LOL!

Lynn Hasty said...

Deleise, those are beautiful pictures. I would LOVE to have a pond like that. :) I'm just thankful that Grandma and Grandpa have a small pond for such adventures. You did a good job letting go!

Lynn

Natalie Witcher said...

We grew up on a lake and I loved it when we were fianlly old enough to stop wearing life jackets/ski belts (lame). We were sooo cool.

Christi said...

I grew up on lots of land w/2 ponds. I would be gone all day and just show up at dusk. I think I worry more about my kids being in the "city" and all the other people/crazy drivers. Being in the "country" is just fun. Great job on letting go:)