Tuesday, December 18, 2007

expectations

So I planned this year, as I do every year, to take our Christmas picture early. And once again I failed. I took the picture yesterday, made the cards online and paid extra to have them done in an hour. Check the date…yeah.

Tonight I went to pick them up and they were not ready. So I am racing through the store, near tears and up to my eyeballs in Christmas card anxiety and around the corner comes Shanna Crawford. If you know Shanna, you probably know where this is going , huh?

She let me whine on about how I had stressed myself out, and how the store had failed me in my time of need, how everyone’s life would be ruined if my cards didn’t go out TOMORROW, how I have always been a procrastinator….blah, blah, blah.

And then she began speaking Shanna-ese. She told me it was time for me to embrace my procrastination. To know procrastination is what I am going to do, and to accept it. To love it. To know that God cut me out that way. To leave the expectations behind. I suddenly felt a wave of calm. Could this foreign concept actually be ok?

Everyone who knows me knows that I am notorious for waiting until the last minute. I always get it done. But I always feel like I am wrong for not planning ahead. Why is that? What exactly IS the point of that extra stress? Could I actually learn to embrace this characteristic instead of feeling guilt over it?

Wow.

This freedom is something I seriously want to consider.

I am definitely going to plan for some time to think about it soon…..

6 comments:

shanna said...

I love this:

I am definitely going to plan for some time to think about it soon…..

You are too cute! God does great things thru those that do not fit into the world's system...they are free to go where He leads...even if it is somewhere they had not "planned" to go. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are problably a great asset in a crisis and work best under pressure...these are GREAT qualities to have. I am praying you would walk in grace and embrace all the wonderful things He has deposited in you and cast off any condemnation! His love, acceptance and approval for you is not based on your ability to get your Christmas cards out on time :)If you hugged your kids, kissed your husband and loved those around you...you have done what is most important today! You are PRECIOUS!

David said...

Not only does God love you the way you are, baby, but I love you and your procastinatin' ways, too. I've been on the receiving end of many of your last-minute, wait-till-the-deadline items, and I gotta say it's always worth the wait. It's part of who you are. And that's what I love -- you.
(From someone who has perfected "I can just do it later" all too well.)

Anonymous said...

This is so great. If only we would embrace how God molded us more often! We are fearfully and wonderfully made!

Alana - The Mommy said...

What? We can embrace procrastination? Maybe I can embrace always being late. Hmmm...maybe!

Molly said...

I am definitely going to plan for some time to think about it soon…..

Laughing at this one.

Love, your fellow procrastinator

Tristan said...

I love this! I am reading your mind right now and you're thinking about starting the scrapbook because it is the day before Christmas Eve. I haven't started yet and I'm freakin' out. You are probably totally calm knowing that you will get it done. I love everything about you. You know you are my sister by chance, but my very best friend by choice!