Monday, May 11, 2009

Fleeting

Bedtime at our house is usually David’s thing. I’ve gotten in snuggles and had valuable time with the kids during the day, and am running out of fuel 12 hours into the project. He hasn't gotten to see much of them and they love the extra time with him. It works.

Tonight David had been mowing and came in to take a shower around bedtime. Cole had just gotten out of the bath and was ready for his tuck-in. He was a little put out that David wasn’t ready for him.

“Will you lay with me?” he asks me.

“Honey, just go get in bed, Daddy will be there in just a little bit,” I respond without making eye contact. I’m already out of mommy-mode and have settled comfortably in Deleise’s-computer-time-mode.

His lack of response and sound of his little feet traipsing up the stairs snap me out of my screen trance. I tiptoe behind his trail and nestle myself next to him in his bed.

“Mommy, do you spell line L-I-N-E?” he asks me as I breathe in the smell of his freshly shampooed hair. “That’s right.” I confirm.

We stare out the window at the leaves blowing on the tree, his radio playing softly in the background. He tucks his body into a little ball and nuzzles against me letting out a content sigh. He feels tiny. His soft, damp curls touch my cheek. I can see his profile in the dim light and my heart flutters as I notice he looks just like he did when he was a baby. The sudden urgency of his fleeting smallness hits me like a train.

We snuggle in silence except for the occasional random thoughts he verbalizes.

The whole experience was uneventful, but somehow at the same time, completely profound.

And I can't believe I almost missed it.

12 comments:

Jen said...

I totally get it. This is why I still tuck in my almost 5 year old baby and often stay until he's asleep, even though I know so many friends think I'm crazy. You just can't beat it.

Marcie said...

Oh I love this post! I'm so glad you didn't miss that! How precious! Those are the moments in life that stay with us... those are the ones of which memories are made.
Bedtime is my favorite time. Sure, there are evenings I rush through it, but I love it when I sit with Devin as he reads to Noah, we sing songs and pray and tuck the little guy in... getting hugs and nuzzling noses and wet two-year-old kisses... LOVE IT!

Anonymous said...

I Love You!

This is just one of the reasons that I would pick you to be my MOM.

This post makes my heart so full!!

Andi Hawkins said...

My eyes are burning. You are THE BEST encouragement to not miss "it." Thank you thank you thank you.

Kelsey said...

Made me tear up. Time with them flies by too quickly.

Lani said...

I can totally relate. Makes me wonder how many of these moments I've managed to miss. This was a sweet post, Deleise. Happy Belated Mother's Day! Hugs.

Sue said...

So Sweet!!!Thanks for sharing. Love you,
Mom

ourcosyhome said...

I love this.It is so true.I always rush past this time of night so I can get 'me' time when they are all asleep,but tonight I slowed down and savoured time with my babies.Thanks for reminding me of the little important things.

Dusty Takle said...

Bedtime is the sweetest time. Evah. Except on American Idol nights, of course.

Natalie Witcher said...

Yep, I understand. Love those moments.

Cindy Beall said...

Oh wow, but praise Jesus you didn't.

Oh, praise Him for His sweet and motivating conviction.

Natalie Witcher said...

If i don't see a new blog post, I'm going to smite you.