Sunday, November 16, 2008

Running

What are you running from?

Come on, we are all running from something. Maybe you are you running from a change you need to make. Maybe you are running from a relationship. Or from a challenge.

Raise your hand if you are running from God.

Hi. Me too.

A friend and I were discussing last week how we are both kind of running from Him instead of to Him and we don’t know why. It’s simply just a lack of being with Him like we should. No, I haven’t stopped enjoying church or spending time with Him, it’s just that the relationship is not where it could be, ya know?

For me there has been no big event or hard times, nothing dramatic, just a gradual drifting. Kind of like when you are in the lake on an inflatable raft and you shut your eyes for a few minutes. You look up and are amazed at the distance you have floated. It’s surprising because the whole time you were floating away, it kinda felt like you were staying in the same place. You get used to those waves and don’t realize where they are carrying you if you don‘t pay attention.

Other times you are on your raft and you peek out of one eye every few seconds. You realize you are drifting and you give yourself a little hand-paddle back in. The sooner you notice, the easier it is to get back to where you want to be.

Sometimes you can even get into a rhythm where you are just automatically waving your hand through the water, consistently keeping yourself in place.

It’s the same with our relationship with God. Sit idly for long, and you will get used to the waves of life and find yourself drifting away, even though you didn’t necessarily feel it happening. Catch it early and it’s easier to get back on track. Run to Him by staying in the Word and in intimate communication and you will find yourself in a rhythm that keeps you in place. Right where you want to be.

I’ve looked up and recognized the change in scenery and the need to paddle. Because make no mistake about it. If you aren’t running to Him, you are running from Him.

Even if you don’t mean to.

11 comments:

Gina said...

What did I do to deserve more beating?! God got me with the 2x4 this morning! Seriously this is so me. I'm running away from Him, running to Him, and drifting all at the same time. It makes no sense. But I am recognizing the need for HUGE change. GREAT blog Deleise!

Sue said...

Great thoughts my child!! I was just thinking about how I have let my busy schedule get in the way of the time I am spending with God. I am going to use your words as an encouragement to draw closer.

Love you
Mom

Anonymous said...

This is a great post! I so have drifting periods. At the moment I am paddling full force TO Him. I have to!! I will drown if I don't.

Are there ever times where you just crave God? That is my season.

Love Ya'

Ali said...

Great post! This is exactly what I needed today. It's so hard to drift away from him when your not even trying, it amazes me. It's just really hard I think when you have children because you get so caught up in everyday life.

Marcie said...

What a vivid... and accurate... word picture. How often I've been in just such the place you've described...

Kim Heinecke said...

"Even if you don't mean to" -- so true.

Natalie Witcher said...

good one. I love that picture. And I do love a good analogy.

Kisha said...

This is definitely where I am right now.

Kelsey said...

This is so good! Thanks.

Lani said...

And sometimes I'm just plain running in circles. ;)

Amy Newberry said...

I love the recap. The time we spend together is so precious to me. Thanks for checking in on me yesterday too. Can't wait to spay your cat!!! did I just write that! HAHA!!! only something you and I will be able to laugh at. None the less. Bye-Bye kitty female organs:)