Saturday, January 2, 2010

My word of the year

Over the past several years I have heard of people having a "word of the year." You know, one word you really need to focus on in your life. One that you keep reminding yourself of and working toward all year. I guess it always sounded a little too close to a resolution (aka: seed of failure) to me, so I never took the bait. But this year I feel different. This year I'm going to have a word.

My word?

Believe.

I love the Bible. I love reading it and looking for verses and stories that pertain to my life and guide me. I want all of my answers to come from there. I know that it is the only sure thing that is 100 percent accurate and real and true. But here is the weird part.

I don't always believe it for ME.

I'm not talking about belief in God or his word. I'm talking about belief that his promises are for me.

I easily and confidently claim promises for my children and other loved ones, never once doubting.

I can point a friend to a verse about how God promises to rescue her, or how his grace is sufficient, or how He came so we could have freedom, and I believe with my whole heart that is true.

But I'm finding that maybe I don't always believe it to be true as much for myself. Sure, that promise is for you, but for me? Maybe it's that I sometimes lack faith. Maybe on some level I'm trying to protect myself from possible disappointment or head off potential failure. Whatever it is, my heart and actions just don't always show belief.

Sounds simple to believe something you already believe, huh? It should be. But sometimes my mind takes over and wants to doubt what the Bible says about me. I'm free? I'm holy? I'm victorious? I'm accepted? I'm cherished? I'm healed? I'm chosen? I'm secure? It says this and so much more about me. Deleise. And sometimes I have a hard time grasping that. So this year my focus is to believe.

Believe what has been promised.

Believe what I already know is true.

Believe God.



Do you have a word for 2010?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have this same issue. It is so easy to see the Word for everyone else. I don't feel like I am worthy enough for me to be included in it's promises.

I'm working on it. I don't do a word but I do pick a scripture that I try and link my life to all year long.

This year I chose Psalm 55:22
Give your burdens to the Lord, and he will take care of you. He will not permit the godly to slip and fall.

I pray that you find your place and learn to believe for you too.

Kelsey said...

So good. I tend to doubt His promises for ME as well. I'm sure he is just shaking His head at us. He sees us and sees masterpieces. I will be praying that you holdfast to this word this year and the truths His word says of you. I am excited about growing more intimate in our relationship with one another and with Him this next year. Love you so much. Oh yeah, I told you my word...Purpose. I want to live with Purpose in ALL that I do.

Robin said...

Such a great word and post. I still can't seem to land on a word, or song or anything this year. Maybe by Wednesday.

Anonymous said...

Love it!! ~ Robin Meadows

SheriYates said...

Awesome!

Natalie Witcher said...

I've got the same word, sister. You would not believe (ha, no pun intended) the amount of journaling I have done over this the last few weeks. Can't wait to talk!!!

When we don't believe, a couple of things:
1. We've decided the terms of the promise.
2. We have the potential to make God out to be a liar.
3. We are missing out on blessings.
4. We are missing out on the full potential of our calling.

well, I could go on! But, I'm right there with you. It's a devil's ploy and we've got to stop being duped and trying to run our own universe on our terms and get out of the bondage of legalism.

Kim Heinecke said...

Love this Deleise. Love you!

Mandy said...

So awesome Deleise. I can't wait to see who you are transformed into at the end of 2010. This word is going to be powerful for you this year. I have no doubt. Excited to make the journey alongside you.

Marcie said...

I love this, Deleise. It was like reading my own words. I struggle with the EXACT same concept and am so grateful God led you to share this.

Shannan said...

My word....
vulnerable! Need to allow myself to become more vulnerable...for those I love and for the Lord to use me! Otherwise I miss out! Time to quit missing out and become more vulnerable!

shannans365bible.blogspot.com

Thanks Deleise for sharing!! :)