Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Beautiful scars

Every morning and every night I carefully apply a special scar gel to Garrett’s neck. I love doing this. It reminds me of when I was first taking care of him after he and David had their four-wheeler accident last September. After an hour and a half with a team of plastic surgeons he had 200 welcomed stitches holding together the slashes across his neck. It reminds me of the feelings I had after we got them home from the hospital and he was safe on the couch, where I seriously considered tying him down until he was grown. The journey of emotions from the surreal accident scene to that couch made me feel like I had just won the lottery. The feelings were overwhelming. Feelings of intense relief. Of God’s mercy. Of second chances. Each day as my fingers run over every centimeter of those scars I am reminded of how much I love my kids and husband. And how much God loves me. And how we never know for sure what we are being saved from. And how life is precious. Sometimes I forget between applications, but as soon as I touch those scars, it all comes back. Although I hope his scars eventually fade, I hope the reality of what they mean to me never does.

8 comments:

Jenny-K said...

Oh, I remember that Deleise! I'm so glad that they're both okay. I have to take Sammy to get his stitches out tomorrow (from his fight with his Veggie Tales pirate ship). Not quite a 4-wheeler accident, but it scared me. Life is so precious, and I just want to hold my babies close.

Anonymous said...

I Love You!

Marcie said...

I love reading your blog. I've known you for so long, but I continue to learn more about you. You're so good at so many things. Your insight is inspiring. I love "Beautiful scars". I've never put in in writing, but I believe scars tell a story... they're a "badge of courage", they tell a tale of survival and more importantly, a tale of God's protection, provision, and grace. Having a couple scars of my own, I'm reminded of His healing power and imagine the day I'll see and touch HIS scars which tell of His sacrifice for me.
I love you, my friend!

deleise said...

Jenny-I know! I forgot to check him out Tuesday! Hope it went well

Kelse- I love you too, sister

Marce-very good words. You are so right, they do tell a survival story. Love you.

Sue said...

I'm sure Garrett gets tired of me looking at his scars, but like you I do it as a reminder of God's mercy, and I continue to thank Him for His protection of Garrett and David. Love you!

Chick4Christ said...

Hey!
first, i wanted to say thank you! Thank you for always believing in me and seeing what i was going to become and looking past what i was at the time :)

also, this blog is so sweet! I think its so good that these trials and struggles just bring us closer to God and our relationships. It tickles me to watch you with your kids and see the patience and love you have with them! you're such a good mom Deleise! :)

shanna said...

Oh how precious...made me cry!

Laura said...

Oh my! I had no idea of the accident. I feel so out of the loop. Love the blog - now I can keep up! I love what Marcie said. So true.